Spider-Man: Far From Home Raises Questions Amongst Fans

On Jan. 15, Tom Holland – AKA Peter Parker AKA Spider-Man – dropped an early morning preview to his upcoming movie, Spider-Man: Far From Home.

The clip generally matches up with the facts we already know; Peter Parker travels to Europe for a friendly vacation and decides to leave his Spidey suit behind. He’s enjoying his trip until Nick Fury himself shows up – greeting Parker with a friendly tranquilizer in his friend’s neck – and says he “has a job to do.” Funny enough, that job involves taking down the supervillain Mysterio (portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal), who is set on destroying half of Europe. 

In just 24 hours the trailer hit 130 million views, making it Sony’s most-viewed trailer in history, and it’s not hard to see why. Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man is back and better than ever. We’re all incredibly happy that he made such a speedy recovering, considering he’s supposed to be – wait, what’s the word, *snaps fingers* dead?

That’s right, as we all saw Peter Parker left a full theater in tears as he turned to dust, right there in Tony Stark’s arms, parting with only the final words of, “Mr. Stark, I don’t feel so good.”

And then the theater flooded. 

Needless to say, this development has raised several questions among Marvel fans and the Twitter fanbase will be left screaming until the movie will be aired. While all their questions will be answered by July 5th, the only thing the fanbase can do right now is dissect each individual frame and piece together their own story – and, of course, find more questions to ask. 

When is this story set?

That seems to be the most popular question cycling around Twitter as fans try to figure out if this somehow takes place before Infinity War and its upcoming sequel Endgame or afterward – or, perhaps, somewhere off in the Spiderverse? However, we have to look at the facts. Aside from origin stories like Captain Marvel, the Marvel Cinematic Universe generally releases movies in the order that they happen, so that said stories can build up to their big finishes. Seeing as how Spider-Man will be released on July 5, and Endgame – the movie where all of the questions of who stays dead will be answered –will be released several months before on Apr. 26, it isn’t hard to piece together the rest of the puzzle. 

For further proof, take a look at an interview with Amy Pascal that took place in 2017, where she discussed the upcoming movies in the next few years and said “We are starting now [Spider-Man: Far From Home] which will start a few minutes after [Avengers: Endgame] wraps as a story.”

However, this development only succeeds in raising more questions as fans try to piece together how Peter might be alive and why there is not even a whisper of Thanos in the new trailer if it takes place only “minutes” afterward? It’s all but confirmed that the upcoming Avengers movie will involve time travel, so there is every reason to believe that it may end in a weird place that may create an entirely new timeline, resetting the universe to a point in time before Thanos ever even showed up. 

Or maybe Peter just left his Spider-suit behind so that he could distance himself from the feeling of turning into dust. 

Either way, I will see you in theaters on July 5.

I am a Creative Writing major studying at Florida State University. I have loved writing all kinds of genres since I was ten years old, and that passion has only grown over the last eleven years. Aside from writing, my passions also include drawing, painting, and cuddling my cat, Mason.
Her Campus at Florida State University.