Spear It: Tallahassee’s Newest Staple Restaurant

Courtesy: Facebook

When students arrived back in Tallahassee to start the fall semester, one thing they probably noticed was Spear It, the brand new and exciting restaurant that opened over the summer on the corner of West Tennessee Street and North Copeland Street.

As I was driving by, the giant spear and flame in the middle of the parking lot was what first caught my eye. I couldn’t wait to try it! When I first walked in, I could already feel the enormous amount of Florida State pride; it’s clear that everyone there bleeds garnet and gold. I sat down to look at the menu, and was pretty overwhelmed by all the delicious looking options! Spear It’s wide variety of menu items definitely cater to all taste buds.

For starters, there’s the signature “Freshman 15 Burger” which includes chicken tenders, bacon, boneless rib meat and a fried egg all on top of a black angus burger with some more traditional toppings.  All that on one burger? Yup, you read that right!  And if that didn’t make your mouth water enough, there are plenty of other options! Server Sydney Schaefer said that her favorite item on the menu is the fried mac and cheese, as well as the Bash Burger which has the fried mac and cheese on it!  “It’s definitely not the healthiest but it’s the best burger I’ve ever had,” said Schaefer.

However, if you’re not looking to gain the “freshman 15” in one sitting, Spear It has a great selection of salads and other healthier options that are just as unique and delicious! I ordered the Harvest Fresh salad and it was probably the tastiest salad I’ve ever eaten! With wood-grilled chicken, kale, romaine, quinoa, roasted tomatoes, grilled peppers, asparagus, red peppers, parmesan and a lemon vinaigrette, you definitely won’t feel like you’re making a compromise to eat healthy. In general, I feel as if most sports bar restaurants don’t have the best selection of healthier options. However, Spear It is killing it in all areas of their menu!

During my visit, I felt that the environment in Spear It was unique from any other restaurant in Tallahassee. The great staff provided a welcoming atmosphere, while the décor and ambiance made me feel very integrated into FSU as a whole. Schaefer also said, “Spear It doesn’t feel like most college restaurants, and all of the staff really take pride in what they do. You get the feeling of eating at a nice restaurant, but without having to pay super expensive prices. It’s definitely a place you’d want to bring your parents when they come to town.”

Courtesy: Facebook

I was also able to speak with Mike Smith, the operating director of the restaurant. He told me that Spear It is unique because of its fresh ingredients, its focus on value and the restaurant’s focus on the legendary traditions of Florida State. He wanted to create a great restaurant for the students of FSU and the people of Tallahassee alike, and he has!

While I was enjoying my food, I was looking around and thinking to myself how much of a hotspot this place was going to be on game days from now on. It has the perfect environment and would be a great (and air-conditioned) place to enjoy the game! Smith said that this past Friday night, before the first home game of the season, was the busiest night they’ve ever had, and then Saturday even exceeded that!

With so many delicious menu items, the legendary FSU-centered atmosphere, great service and a legendary happy hour from both 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. to close, Spear It is definitely a must try!

Her Campus at Florida State University.