So You Want To Take a Day Trip Outside of Tally? Here Is Where to Go!

All Florida State students remember the day when the university announced there would be no official spring break for the 2021 spring term. Even then, we were able to anticipate the stress it would cause when the time came. Unfortunately, the time has come. I don’t know about you, dear reader, but I am feeling it. However, one bright side of online classes is that it’s way more feasible to get out of town and forget about discussion boards and Honorlock, even for only a day. So, in the spirit of spring break, take some notes, grab your driver friend of the group and your favorite road trip snacks because here is my list of awesome day trips for your girl gang.

Thomasville, Georgia

This special city in South Georgia is about a 45-minute drive from Tallahassee. My favorite thing about this city is the downtown area where all the unique boutiques and coffee shops are located. Almost every place is locally operated and offers some one-of-a-kind items. This is also a great place for Instagram pictures. When you go, I highly recommend getting your caffeinated pick me up at Grassroots Coffee Company, your lunch at AJ Moonspin and your dessert at Sweet and Savory Sisters; you won’t regret it! In April, they will be celebrating their 100th Rose Show and Festival, which looks super exciting. 

Wakulla Springs State Park, Florida

This Florida State Park is a 30-minute drive south with beautiful nature scenery on the way. This park includes historic springs that are always the perfect temperature. On top of the swimming and hiking amenities available, you can explore more of the land around you. As much as I loved exploring, I also loved learning about the Native Americans that originally inhabited the land and the movies that were filmed there! Admission is only $6 per vehicle, so it’s super affordable. 

Atlanta, Georgia

If you’re really craving city life and are willing to drive four hours for it, Atlanta is the place to be! There is so much to see here. It honestly may be more than one day, but Atlanta still deserved to be on this list. There are so many novel attractions like the largest aquarium in the United States, Coca-Cola world, Centennial Park, CNN Center and so many museums for whatever your interests are. This is another place with so much culture and history that you’ll have a hard time being bored. 

Panama City Beach, Florida

This recommendation is for all the beachy gals out there! This destination beach city is about two hours west and perfect if you’re from South Florida missing the beach bum lifestyle or from up north and want to experience it. The water there is SO beautiful, and there are so many water-based activities, like jet skiing! The city also hosts numerous fun events like car shows, socially distanced festivals and outdoor concerts. So, before you go, check out what is happening when so that you don’t miss out on any cool happenings. 

All the Hiking Spots

girl on roadtrip
Photo by averie woodard from Unslpash

I wanted to end the article with the most classic of recommendations: hiking trails. Although there are many state parks and trails in Tallahassee, it’s nice to get outside of the city. Here is a list of my favorites, and hopefully, you will find your next favorite!

• Providence Canyon State Park in Lumpkin, Georgia
  • Cumberland Island National Seashore in St. Marys, Georgia
  • Sam Atkins Park in Blountstown, Florida
  • Ochlockonee River State Park in Wakulla County, Florida
  • Cypress Landing Astronomical Park in Tallahassee, Florida

Just because we don’t have an official break doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate its spirit. Instead of pining over a spring break lost, take this time into your own hands. This is your sign to log off Zoom for the day and take a self-care day with your girls. You deserve it, and they do too.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Rebecca is a student at Florida State University located in sunny Tallahassee, Florida. She is double majoring in Marketing and Management Information Systems. Rebecca enjoys going to football games, acai bowls, and finding new ways to practice growth and self-love!
Her Campus at Florida State University.