A Single Girl’s Guide to Conquering Valentine’s Day in Tallahassee

The arrival of February means one important thing for girls everywhere: Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re single, in a relationship, or something in between, everybody knows that this is a month centered around the heart-shaped, chocolate-filled holiday. With this day comes a lot of controversy; some love it while others loathe it. Some celebrate it while others wear black and stay inside all day. Most single girls look at the day as an international reminder that they don’t have a significant other. However, I’m here to tell you that no matter what your relationship status is, there are so many ways to embrace and enjoy this holiday.

A huge plus of Valentine’s Day this year is that it falls on a Saturday, so you can take advantage of the entire day. To make the most of it, you can take a cute day trip with your friends! Tallahassee has tons of beautiful places to visit, such as Lake Ella or Tom Brown Park. You can head to the grocery store, pick up some food, and plan a picnic with all of your besties. There’s no better way to celebrate love than enjoying a beautiful day outside with some quality friends!

Tom Brown Park (Source: Panoramio)

Another fun activity to plan is the classic girls night in. Buy a couple bottles of wine, slip into some comfortable sweatpants, order a pizza, and turn on Netflix. In the spirit of Valentines Day, you can watch any number of quality romantic comedies that will be sure to lighten the mood (The Wedding Planner, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Bridesmaids, or Clueless, to name a few). This day is as good as any to spend a relaxing night in with your girls.

You can also make the most of the night and go out with your group of friends! Get your girls together and head out to a fun pregame (where you could possibly meet a cute guy). Spend the night at Standard, Coliseum, Pots, or anywhere that you’re bound to have a good time with your friends. And if all else fails, you can always end the night ordering pokey sticks at home and talking to your friends until three in the morning about how ratchet the club got.

Another cute idea is to plan a fancy dinner with your closest friends! You guys can get dressed up and head out to any number of restaurants, such as Harry’s, 101, or Moda, and treat yourselves to a nice dinner. You can even make each other your own valentines and buy each other gifts or chocolates. Or, you can opt to make it a morning event and go out to brunch somewhere like Madison Social instead.

No matter what you choose to do, there is no reason to stay in and sulk on Valentines Day! Take advantage of the opportunity to surround yourself with friends that you love. As long as you’re with the people that mean the most to you, you can never go wrong. Instead of dwelling on not having a boyfriend to take you to dinner or buy you gifts, spend the day with the ones who will always be there for you: your girlfriends. As Carrie Bradshaw said, “maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with.”

Megan is a freshman at Florida State University studying Retail Merchandising. She is originally from Miami, FL, but dreams of living in New York. In her spare time she enjoys writing, blogging, watching Grey's Anatomy reruns, and all things fashion. Twitter: meganmaguire_ Instagram: meggmaguiree
Her Campus at Florida State University.