Sig Delt’s First Annual Slam Dunk

Each month different sororities and fraternities hold events to raise money and awareness for different causes and organizations. It’s easy to get caught up in school, our social lives and planning for our futures, so it’s always refreshing to stop and take a second to realize that others aren’t always as fortunate as we are and to try to help those less fortunate. This month is National Child Abuse Prevention Month and Sigma Delta Tau is helping us reflect, recognize and help those who have suffered.

Sigma Delta Tau’s spring philanthropy, Sig Delt Slam Dunk, will be held on April 9 and will benefit Prevent Child Abuse America: a non-profit organization that advocates for healthy living environments for children. Prevent Child Abuse America, PCAA, helps almost 100,000 families every year by stopping child abuse before it has the ability to even happen. Out of every dollar raised, the organization puts 92 cents specifically to programs that help the development and continued growth of children and families.

This month, and every spring semester, Sigma Delta Tau holds an event for the Tallahassee community to help raise as much money and awareness as possible for the program. This year the chapter went in a new direction by creating a philanthropy event entirely from scratch. Taylor Goldberg, Sigma Delta Tau’s External Chair, along with Brianna Daniels, Philanthropy Chair, have been working all year to make Sig Delt Slam Dunk.

The event is a 3 vs. 3 basketball competition that will take place at the Westside courts on campus behind Salley Hall. Each team consists of three players and the winning team will receive a trophy as well as a $200 donation back to the charity of their choice. Taylor, Brianna and their philanthropy team created this event in honor of the Florida State basketball team’s amazing season. The team inspired them to do something fun and throw an event that everyone can participate in.

The sorority will be holding “share it” nights every day leading up to the philanthropy on Sunday, including Chipotle, Vale and even pizza at Heritage!

Courtesy: Taylor Goldberg

You can sign up for the event at https://sdt.crowdchange.co/fundraiser/304 or ask any Sigma Delta Tau sister for information. Tickets for taco night at the sorority house are being sold by sisters for $5 or can be bought at the door with cash or Venmo. 

Megan is a freshman at Florida State University studying Retail Merchandising. She is originally from Miami, FL, but dreams of living in New York. In her spare time she enjoys writing, blogging, watching Grey's Anatomy reruns, and all things fashion. Twitter: meganmaguire_ Instagram: meggmaguiree
Her Campus at Florida State University.