The Show Must Go on: How FSU’s College of Music Is Handling COVID-19

COVID-19 has been a struggle for students across the university, but the performing arts have been especially hard-hit. Taking away crowds and audiences is taking away musicians’ and performers’ livelihoods as we have seen with larger venues like Broadway and Carnegie Hall. Here at FSU, the College of Music looks a bit different, too.

With most classes online, many students are taking private lessons from their own homes and some ensembles are online studying their music instead of performing it. Small classes like conducting are offered outside in the amphitheater where students can safely move and learn. The classrooms may be dark, but the stages aren’t. The Florida State College of Music is still holding large ensembles, but things look different.

All wind players are required to wear playing masks during rehearsals and performances with regular masks and face coverings while entering and leaving rehearsal. Musicians are set up at a six-foot distance in the ensemble and fabric bell covers are required to limit the spread of any aerosols (bell covers are the fabric that covers the exposed parts of instruments, like the bell or a trumpet or tuba). Indoor ensembles also take breaks throughout the rehearsals in order to circulate the air to make sure that the room is safe. The University Singers are also able to meet outside in the amphitheater under some newly installed tents. They must stand at least six feet apart and wear masks for the duration of the rehearsal.

Yolanda St. Fleur (’23 Political Science/Music) comments “10/10. It took a while to adjust to playing with masks, playing distanced, and having to take breaks to freshen the air but it feels really good to be making music again and have a small sense of normalcy in the middle of a pandemic.”

As ensembles like Symphonic Band, the University Philharmonia Orchestra and the University Singers rehearse indoors, the Marching Chiefs continue to perform loud and proud (six feet apart, of course).

B&W picture of a drummer
Photo by Adi Goldstein from Unsplash

The Marching Chiefs have returned, but like everything else, their season looks a lot different. Rehearsals now follow strict social distancing guidelines with any formations on the field being at least six feet apart. The band also has strict guidelines on masks and ensuring that students are all wearing regular masks when not playing their instruments. Even though the season looks a lot different, new member Tru Coleman told us “Just like with someone’s actual family, the Chiefs family understands that if one person is being irresponsible during COVID-19, it affects everyone else. I feel safe because people there are taking it seriously while also making sure they everyone is having fun, which we are lucky to be doing.”

The Atlantic Coast Conference is not allowing marching bands to perform field shows, but that hasn’t stopped the Marching Chiefs from bringing pep to the stands. Socially distanced, the band has performed at all of the home games with playing masks, regular masks and bell covers.

Although the College of Music looks a lot different than years past, they aren’t going away anytime soon. Catch the FSU Wind Ensemble’s live-streamed concert on Nov. 10, here!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Brenna Miller is a Woodwind Performance and Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University. She loves reading, writing, and, of course, playing the flute.
Her Campus at Florida State University.