She-Hulk and the New THOR: Top 4 Reasons These Female Superheroines Should Be Your New Role Models

In the past few months, the long-standing comic company Marvel announced that they would be bringing two new superheroes back into the marvel universe—and they are both two crazy cool ladies. She-Hulk, a series that went out of popularity, is coming back better than ever with Jennifer Walters, a hip lawyer trying to make the best of it, who also happens to be constantly green and the cousin of Hulk. And the new THOR (no, not Lady Thor or She Thor, but just straight up THOR) has changed because a new person is wielding the hammer, and she just so happens to be the coolest blonde in the galaxy. Needless to say, these superheroines are the bomb, and can also be great role models for Collegiettes everywhere. Here’s why:

1. They’re Powerful

Regardless of the fact that these two are either genetically modified or an actual Viking GOD, they are some pretty powerful ladies. They can lift, smash, crash, and come down really hard on dudes with just a hammer, and they get praise and adoring fans for it. THOR took the hammer from the previous THOR; she just took it! Because she was worthy enough to wield it.

For a Collegiette at FSU or, more accurately, a Collegiette anywhere, it’s normal to feel weak or powerless when it comes to school work, clubs, dealing with money or simply being on your own. Sometimes, especially at a school where women aren’t always seen as powerful beings, these feelings can be sort of heartbreaking. But one look at She-Hulk or THOR can remind you that you can really handle anything you’ve got in front of you and make it out on top, no matter what anyone says, because hey- you could totally take them in a fight.

2. They’re Smart

Jennifer Walters may be She-Hulk by night, but she is a legitimate lawyer by day. She went to law school. She passed the bar. She’s a frickin genius! She’s not just going around giggling in a deep-cut top saying, “she-hulk SMASH!” She’s looking to say something more like, “SMASH this unjust law in our court systems!” School can be tough, and Calculus can feel like you’re learning an entirely different language, but if She-Hulk can go through undergrad and graduate school while also being green, you can make it through this. You’re smart too, and now with these superheroines, you have someone to look up to and remind you of just that.

3. They’re Just like Us

According to She-Hulk series writer Charles Soule, “It’s not at all out of character for Jennifer Walters to go out partying all night, or spend a day hanging out at the beach.” These superheroines are just like us: they need a day to relax, meet cute guys, meet jerky guys, and hang out just like any other girl. On the cover of the first edition of the new She-Hulk series is Jennifer Walter shaving her legs. You literally can’t get more real and relatable than rushing to shave before going to work. But they also have their problems, just like us. Soule continues, “She absolutely has problems, just like most of the heroes of the Marvel U, but she chooses to approach them with optimism and good spirit rather than surrendering to the grim and gritty.” This is where we should strive to follow our favorite heroines, and when problems of our daily lives come up, we should look at them optimistically, and realize how much good there is in our lives. I mean, look at She-Hulk in the photo at the top. She’s got her bag exploding while she’s trying to run to work. Or to fight crime. We’ve all been in her shoes and understand the struggle of daily lady life. That being said, there’s also one last thing…

4. They Kick Some Serious Ass

BOOM BAM KAPOW! They are fighting everyone! So many punches, so many kicks! She’s even doing that in heels!! I can barely walk in heels! THOR is just throwing that hammer everywhere! These women are the one thing we keep forgetting: superheroes! So they fight a lot of people and it’s SUPER COOL EVERYTIME. How could you not want to be just as kick ass as these ladies? They are kicking ass and taking names, all while keeping their hair and makeup in perfect condition. How could these two ladies not be the perfect role models.

Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU!
Her Campus at Florida State University.