Have you ever wanted to check parking availability or catch a bus from campus but didn’t know how it worked? Or wanted to try something new on campus but didn’t know where to start? We’ve all been there. Navigating life at Florida State University (FSU) can be stressful, especially when everything is brand new. Luckily, there are lots of free apps that you can download to calm your nerves and help guide you as you explore everything FSU has to offer.

1. My FSU

This one may be obvious, but it’s useful in ways you may not even think of. Not only can you check your FSU portal for grades and class information, but you can use it to do things like check Suwannee Dining Hall’s menu for the day or see which laundry machines are available in your dorm. This is perfect if you like to read the menu before you go places or don’t want to go all the way down to the laundry room only to see that all of the washing machines all taken.

2. Seminole Safe

Staying safe in college is extremely important, so you should be prepared in case you find yourself in a potentially dangerous situation or are alone on campus. The Seminole Safe app provides lots of resources like quick access to call 911 and FSU police. The app has a feature called “friend walk” where you can share your location with a friend and they’ll be notified if you hit the panic button through the app or start an emergency call. Next time you’re walking home alone or feeling uneasy, having this app open will give you the comfort of knowing that if you need it, help is just a call away.

3. FSU Tranz

Girl by train tracks
Photo by Daria Nepriakhina from Unsplash

It’s no secret that finding ideal parking on campus is at best, a hassle, and at worst, nearly impossible. The FSU Tranz app helps relieve some of that stress by listing the capacity of each parking garage on campus and how full they currently are. Checking this app before you go searching for a spot will help make sure you don’t drive all the way to a parking garage just to find that there are no spaces. On those days before class when you need to quickly find a spot, this app will tell you which garages you should avoid and which one is your best bet. It is also great for keeping up with parking-related announcements and easy access to calling a Nole Cab.

4. FSU Campus Rec

For people who want a unique alternative to going to the gym by themselves, FSU offers a variety of free workout classes such as cardio, spin, yoga, pilates and more. The FSU Campus Rec app shows you the hours for the day for places like the Leach Recreation Center, The Rez and the Leach pool. The app lets you explore the classes offered and make reservations for the time and type of class that works for you.

5. Transloc

For those days where you don’t want to walk, this app will help you out with all things bus-related. Transloc shows you maps of the Tallahassee area, where the nearest bus stops are, where each bus is (both campus and city buses), and how far away they are from your location. This app can help you find the best route to take to class, work or anywhere you want to go around Tallahassee

6. Hooked Deals

Who doesn’t love free food? The Hooked Deals app is free and shows you limited-time deals for places to eat near campus and around Tallahassee. As a broke college student, this is a great way to get free and discounted food from your favorite nearby places.

7. Eventbrite

If you’re looking for fun events around Tallahassee, this is a great app to check out. When you’re bored and looking for something to do, scrolling through this app will give you deals for cheap (or free) admission to clubs, concerts, restaurant events and even career training and health and wellness workshops. It’s perfect for finding opportunities for things like yoga, gaming or fitness around Tallahassee.

These are just a few apps that I use that have been convenient and saved me time and money. Having these resources with you wherever you go will definitely come in handy and make everyday life in college life that much easier.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Taylor Rainey is a senior at Florida State University studying Marketing and Psychology. This is her third year as a member of Her Campus at FSU. When she’s not focusing on her studies, she can be found exploring around town, listening to music, or fueling her love for coffee shops and boba tea.
Her Campus at Florida State University.