Seminoles Bucket List: Experience an Away Game This Semester!

Everyone has a bucket list. In college, that list will usually includes things that are “must dos” before graduation. Some things can only be done in college, and as a senior, I’ve noticed that my bucket list has grown longer and longer as the years have gone by. One of the items I knew I had to do this semester was go to an away game.  Even though I had been to an amazing away game last fall with an organization I’m apart of, I knew it wasn’t exactly the experience I was looking for.  You know what I’m talking about: envision jamming with your best friends in the car before driving over the state line and taking pictures.  Imagine leaving the game with a win and then driving around and finding little holes in the wall for an after-game snack. Those were memories I was looking to make. I have my trip for the semester planned and while I’m super excited for October to come, I thought I’d help you plan your trip. It’s an experience you must have and I’m here to show you the way. 

FIRST: PICK A GAME

Okay, so this week’s game is obviously too soon but you still have three to choose from.  No matter which game you choose, there are going to be great options for things to do.

SECOND: BUY YOUR TICKETS!

Lucky for you, FSU just released student tickets for the away games not even a week ago. Get them here! Ticket prices for the games are as follows:

So you’ve gotten your tickets. Now what? If you think you’ll need a hotel, definitely book that first, but if you have friends at your school of choice, hit them up or reach out to that cousin that you never talk to. If you do end up getting a hotel, encourage more of your friends to go so you guys can share a room and cut the costs.  Look for continental breakfasts and free wifi. Those will also cut costs.

If you’ve found a hotel and roommates, now it’s time to think of fun things to do in the area before or after the game! You’re in a new city (or even state), so why not try to experience as much as possible?  While you should research things that are closest to your interests, I’ve compiled a small list of fun things to do around each university!

GEORGIA TECH

Courtesy: The Stadium Shoppe

The Georgia Institute of Technology was founded in 1885 and is home to the Yellow Jackets! It’s located in touristy Atlanta, Georgia, which makes for a great vacation. With shopping, dining and a great city life, Atlanta is ideal for a weekend away from our very own Talla-classy.  Some fun things to do while in Atlanta are to visit The World of Coca Cola museum or the Georgia Aquarium. The World of Coca Cola allows you to spend the day interacting with multiple exhibits and sampling more than 100 different beverages. The Georgia Aquarium is famous for being one of the largest aquariums in the US as well as for its work to cultivate biodiversity and its effects on aquatic animal conservation. Tickets to the World of Coca Cola are $16 and tickets to The Georgia Aquarium are about $35 including tax.

CLEMSON

Courtesy: ESPN

Ah, Clemson: a longtime rival of ours and by far the team with the most interesting (see: god awful) school colors out there—well, next to orange and blue, of course. All jokes aside, Clemson, South Carolina is the perfect place if you want to experience nature and get away.  Clemson University was founded in 1889 and is home to the Clemson Tigers! Have your way with the varying options of white water rafting, zip lining, paddle boarding and more! Grab a few of your sorority sisters and get ready for one exhilarating time! Click here for pricing and reservations!

FLORIDA

Courtesy: Ben Hill Griffin

If you’re brave enough to venture into the swamp, I applaud you. Standing ovation for you! While I’m sure you’re wondering what there could possibly be to do in Gainesville, I’m here to assure you that they’ve got it good down there with some attractions that will make your trip even better—aside from our obvious upcoming win! The University of Florida was founded in 1853 in Gainesville, Florida. Near UF you will find The Florida Museum of Natural History, which is great for stimulating your mind outside of the classroom! It’s also free unless you want to experience the Butterfly Exhibit, which I highly recommend. The Butterfly Exhibit is $9 for Florida residents and $10.50 General Admission. Want to just relax? Then check out Ichetucknee Springs State Park located northwest of Fort White. You can go on a hike or just chill and observe the surrounding wildlife. It’ll be great to enjoy the fall weather while we still have it. The park charges a $6 entrance fee per vehicle up to 8 people. Find more information here!

LASTLY: HAVE FUN!

Cheering on your Noles on someone else’s turf is like the best kind of rebellion. It’s fun and it’s a very different type of school pride than you can imagine. It’s amazing. I’m sure most of you would agree that being a Seminole is unique in and of itself and even just attending Florida State is one of the most rewarding experiences you will have in your lifetime. These four years won’t come back, and while you won’t be able to physically take much with you, you can take all the memories you will make. Whichever game you decide to go to, relish in the moment. I hope you have an amazing time and maybe I’ll see you there. Georgia Tech, anyone?

Janecia Britt, originally from Tampa, FL is a junior at Florida State who’s enchanted by all things fashion, interior design and art. Majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Communication, she has big goals to move to NYC after graduation. She's a brand ambassador for eff.y.bee jewelry, a member of the Victoria Secret PINK Street Team and a Lady SpiritHunter! When she’s not writing for HerCampus, she is baking, crafting and cooking for her friends. You can find her taking Step and Pilates classes at the Leach or canvassing all the boutiques of Tallahassee. She’s a busy bee but puts her heart and soul into everything she does (including her infamous desserts).
Her Campus at Florida State University.