Seminole Spirit: Why You Should Go to Basketball Games

The transition from fall into winter, or what we like to call, “Once Halloween is over it’s Christmas time,” calls for a variety of changes. The drinks at Starbucks change, the shelves at Target are packed with Christmas decorations and the air gets cooler (or it’s supposed to if you live anywhere but Florida). Another change that happens in Tallahassee takes place at the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center where your very own men’s and women’s basketball teams start fresh with a brand new season.

The men’s basketball team finished 17-16 overall and 8-10 in the ACC last season. Although it was not the best season that the Seminoles could have had, this means that they can only go up from here. The team has only gotten stronger in the off-season and only lost one key player, Kiel Turpin. The team actually acquired some very valuable players in the offseason that will make them even stronger competitors. The ‘Noles have a recruiting class that ranks as high as third in the nation with three recruits in the top 100: Dwayne Bacon, Malik Beasley and Terance Mann. We also can’t forget about the star player of the team, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, who is just a sophomore. Last year, he became the only player in ACC history to score 30 plus points in three games as a freshman.

Most of this team has been together for a couple of years now, and the chemistry on the court is only growing. With the addition of key players in positions that needed help, there is a tremendous amount of potential for this team. We all love to support our football team, so I think it is time to share the love with our basketball team as well. Come to the games and pack that student section! This team will not disappoint in putting on a show for its fans with a jam packed schedule full of tough competitors. If anything, atleast come for the duo of Boris and Ojo, everyone’s favorite seven foot friendship. The men’s basketball season starts at home on Sunday, November 15th against Nicholls State at 3 p.m. You can also catch it on ESPN3!

Courtesy: Chop Chat

On the opposite side of the spectrum is the women’s basketball team. These ladies finished the 2014-15 season 32-5 overall, setting a record for the most wins in FSU history, and 14-2 in the ACC. They did not lose a single game at home, finishing with an undefeated record of 15-0. They made it to the Elite Eight only losing to South Carolina as their visions of being in the Final Four disappeared. This team is out to do it all over again, and even better this time. Led by Coach Sue, this team has only been improving themselves and becoming more determined than ever.

The team has lost some key players, like Morgan Jones and Maegan Conwright, but they also added some phenomenal players. Plus, the team still has many veteran players who made it all the way to the Elite Eight with the team last year. With a combination of new talent and seasoned experience, this team will be one not to mess with. They are already ranked number seven in the preseason AP poll and number two in the ACC poll.

This group of strong women always plays an amazing game, and they won every single game at home last year. If that isn’t reason enough to come out to support them, then I don’t know what will be. Honestly, who wouldn’t want to watch a group of awesome women play the game that they play best? Our team has a chance to make it even further than last year, and fellow ‘Noles it’s our job to cheer them on the whole way. The women’s basketball team starts their season on the road against Florida on Monday, November 16th at 5:30 p.m. and you can catch it on the SEC Network. The home opener for your ‘Noles is Thursday, November 19th against Tulane at 7 p.m. and can also be watched on ESPN3.

Please come out to support your basketball teams this season. They are talented teams and it would be awesome to have those student sections full for them. Don’t you want to celebrate more FSU victories with them? As always, go ‘Noles!

Courtesy: Lubbock Online

Miranda is a Senior at FSU pursuing a degree in Sports Management. Her interests mainly include sports, sports, and more sports although she was never the athlete (oops). Her love for sports balances out her girly ways. She can sit down and cheer on her favorite New York teams with just as much passion as buying a new top (on sale of course). She is absolutely obsessed with her puggle, scrolling Twitter, and sleeping in. She hopes to rule the sports world someday, own a baby elephant, live on the beach, and have a big family. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.