“Selena: The Series” and How It’s Going To Take Over Netflix

This holiday season, a new Netflix show about the late Selena Quintanilla-Perez, Selena: The Series, will be coming to screens on Dec. 4. Excitement for the series began nearly two years ago when Selena: The Series was first announced. Being one of the few Netflix releases this year featuring a Latinx cast, anticipation for this release is at an all-time high.

“We know how big of a deal this show is,” said producer, Jaime Dávila. Davila has helped develop shows including Vanderpump Rules, Below Deck and Shahs of Sunset, and explains that his hope for Selena: The Series is to “achieve the sort of mainstream success that will open more doors for content about, and made by Latinos in an industry that remains overwhelmingly white despite pledges for greater diversity and inclusion.”

The trailer, which was recently released on Oct. 26, features Selena walking out onto a stage surrounded by a large audience in her famous white, bedazzled pants and top. It continues by showing flashbacks of a young Selena and her parents, and then displaying various moments in Selena’s life while she was on the rise to becoming a Latina sensation. The trailer finishes with a montage of Selena singing her most popular song, “Como la Flor.” The official description from Netflix’s website for Selena: The Series is as follows: “As Mexican-American Tejano singer Selena comes of age and realizes her dreams, she and her family make tough choices to hold on to love and music.”

Hand pointing a remote control at a screen
Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash

In a past tweet from Netflix, it was revealed that the Quintanilla family and former individuals connected to Selena would be working alongside Netflix throughout the creation of the series. Fans know that her father, sister, former manager and band member are all involved. The series is also being executively produced by the family. “Selena will always have a lasting place in music history, and we feel a great responsibility to do justice to her memory. With this series, viewers will finally get the full history of Selena, our family and the impact she has had on all of our lives,” said Selena’s sister, Suzette. Vice president of Netflix’s Spanish-language originals, Francisco Ramos stated, “They have a deep understanding of these stories because they see themselves in the characters, they see themselves in the people they hire behind the camera.”

The “coming-of-age” series will include many well-known Latinx stars. Christian Serratos, a popular actress who has had roles in The Walking Dead, The Twilight Saga and Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide will be playing the role of Selena in this Netflix series. The series also features other renowned actors and actresses such as Gabriel Chavarria, Julia Macias, Ricardo Chavira and Seidy Lopez, who played the role of Selena’s friend in the original Selena movie back in 1997.

This new Netflix drama, arriving 23 years after the movie featuring Jennifer Lopez is expected to be a massive hit. Part one of this series is set to be released on Dec. 4, as mentioned earlier, and will feature hour-long episodes. Part two of the series will be released at a later date. For more information about Selena: The Series, head to Netflix.com.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!​

Born and raised in Florida. Currently a senior studying marketing at Florida State University. My passions include scrolling endlessly through social media, enjoying time with friends, and being near any body of water.
Her Campus at Florida State University.