Selena Gomez’s Recommendations to Keep Ourselves Busy During Quarantine

Over the weekend, Selena Gomez gave her followers a list of TV shows, movies, songs, books, social media accounts and podcasts to enjoy during their quarantine through a series of Instagram posts. Her recommendations are a mix of entertainment from different genres and years.

Starting with her movie picks, she included eleven of her go-to movies. These movies include Invisible Man, Jennifer’s Body, American Hustle, Uncut Gems, Clueless, Sugar and Spice, After the Wedding, Zodiac, Election, and Flirting with Disaster.

Notting Hill gif
Giphy

As for Instagram accounts, she recommends Tiny Kitchen @tinykitchentm, @jessicayellin, a fan account @selenagomez.doll, Chloe Fineman from Saturday Night Live @chloeiscrazy, and @nostalgia.video, which produces old-timey and nostalgic videos for followers to reminisce and enjoy.

woman holding phone on instagram
https://unsplash.com/@georgiadelotz?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText

Selena’s list of TV shows consists of a lot of comedy-based series’ such as The Morning Show with Steve Carell and Jennifer Aniston (on Apple TV), Good Girls on NBC, and Saturday Night Live (SNL) re-runs on NBC. The other two on that list are The Servant, a horror-based series starring Rupert Grint (on Apple TV), and the Mind Explained on Netflix, which are more serious series’.

black tv remote and tv screen
Glenn Carstens-Peters

After her TV selections, Gomez made a list of her music suggestions, which included a song from her ex-boyfriend, The Weeknd. “Snowchild” is a track on his new album “After Hours” and is rumored, but not confirmed, to be one of the only songs on that album about Gomez besides “Save Your Tears.” Gomez also recommends “If the World Was Ending” by JP Saxes featuring Gomez’s friend and producer Julia Michaels, “You Say” by Lauren Daigle, “The Blessing” by Kari Jobe, Cody Carnes and Elevation Worship, and Roddy Ricch’s “The Box.”

The Weeknd Blinding Lights Gif
The Weeknd

As for books, Gomez gave followers a shortlist of three books. The first, Becoming by Michelle Obama, which is her memoir about her roots and being able to find her political voice in the White House. Second, The Undocumented Americans by Karla Cornejo Villavicencio, a book about the first undocumented immigrants to graduate from Harvard. And finally, Signs by Laura Lynne Jackson, which helps readers recognize signs from the other side and connect to it. It includes several stories of hope and strives to teach readers how to interpret messages from loved ones on the other side. All of these books and more you can find on Amazon.com.

Female arm holding books
Thought Catalog

In her last list, Gomez gives followers four podcasts recommendations. The first is On Purpose with Jay Sheety, where he talks with some of the most influential people in the world about relevant topics such as Coronavirus. Next is, Wait, Wait… Don’t Tell Me by NPR, which is a humorous weekly show where panelists and guests are quizzed on the world’s current events. Next is Oprah and Eckhart Tolle’s A New Earth, which guides listeners in awakening their life’s purpose. And finally, Get Sleepy, a podcast that helps listeners fall asleep and stay asleep. It is obvious that many of these podcasts are health and wellness based which could be due to Selena’s mental health struggles that have affected her in the past. 

headphones
Photo by Icons8 Team on Unsplash

“Here are some things that I’ve been watching, listening to, and reading to keep me positive and help pass the time. Hope it helps!!” Gomez says in her first Instagram post. She is seemingly trying to keep a positive mindset throughout this whole process which is very important! If you want to check out any of her recommendations, copy and paste the title into Google and find where you can enjoy it!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hey! My name is Helena Denny, I am a Media Communications Studies student at Florida State University!
Her Campus at Florida State University.