The Scoop with Szmuc: Valentine’s Day – For My Single Ladies

*Her Campus FSU does not promote illegal behavior and encourages all students to make smart, healthy decisions. This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU.

Welcome to the latest in relationships, sex, love and dating. Introducing, “The Scoop with Szmuc” (Smook) and no, that’s not pronounced schmuck. Every week we’re giving our readers an opportunity to send in their questions to Her Campus FSU staff writer and relationship guru Sharon Szmuc relating to the theme of the week, but with all the business of the holiday—Sharon has enlisted help from other wonderful love experts this week. With Valentine’s Day this Sunday, we decided to focus on how to own being single on the holiday where being single should be a status celebrated – not to be getting drunk off wine for!

Are your plans this Valentine’s Day to go see How to Be Single while eating a box of chocolates in the movie theatre with all your friends? Or are you trying to figure out how to tell Tinder boy that you don’t mind some Netflix and Chilling to celebrate that it’s been a month since you both swiped each other right? Or are you hoping to pick up some guy at happy hour in order to have a date for this Sunday? Whatever you are up to, that’s the beauty of being single – you have options!

Christine R.,* 21

I’ve been talking to this Tinder guy for about a month now. I thought it was just a hooking up thing, but today we got in a little argument and he referred to us as “talking.” I didn’t say anything about it, but now I’m confused. Should I ask him or is it too soon?

The wonderful world of Tinder is an abyss of confusion, isn’t it? Even wading through your question is a mix of mixed messages. You need to ask yourself and your playing games dude, “What do you want out of this?” Maybe you just want a spring semester fling or maybe you want a committed relationship, but before you decide answer the following questions: Have you already “hooked up” and is it something you want to do again? If so, just go for it.

Don’t stress about labels or talking versus hooking up. Is that something you can do? It boils down to this: Do what you want and be who you want and live how you want.  Is the argument something that can be resolved? Though guys can be stubborn, he will want to resolve this. Trust me, Valentine’s Day is around the corner and he wants a Valentine too! Why are you upset he referred to you two as “talking?” Is that, in some twisted way, a downgrade from hooking up? It isn’t. Some guys just take things slow and you should too! The best things take time!

Ask this dude what’s up and if it fizzles out, well, there’s so many more eligible bachelors playing The Game and many more guys to swipe right just five miles away! Maybe show up at this guy’s apartment in a Victoria Secret getup? Do guys like that? They must, and you’ll look pretty rockin’ either way.

–Amanda Edelman

Mandy J.,* 20

Where is the best place to meet good guys on campus? 

Oh Mandy,

As a very, very single woman myself, I wish I knew a forsure place to pick up a regulation hottie, but unfortunately it doesn’t work like that. You really just have to get out there and see what FSU has to offer! Here are a few starter places to scope out (just don’t use binoculars):

The library: If that boy is studying then you’re off to a good start because atleast that means he’s trying to do well in school and maybe go somewhere in life. Chat up the guy you’re standing next to in the Strozier or Dirac Starbucks line (best question to ask is what his favorite drink is) or even sit down at a table by someone you think is cute! Be a little creepy, look at what they’re working on and if they don’t look too in the zone then start a little conversation! We all love a good study distraction.

The Union: There are always people in the Union, especially on Market Wednesdays. Go check out what it has to offer and talk up a cute babe while you peruse the market goodies. Maybe you’ll even reach for the same psychedelic tapestry and the rest will be history.

Class: Talk to people in your classes! Most of the people in your classes are interested in the same things as you. Look at that, you already have a common interest in Underwater Basket Weaving. Get chatting!

Tinder: Moan and groan all you want, but Tinder can actually do a lot more good than you think. I’ve personally had amazing relationships from tinder, met some really awesome people and also learned exactly what I DON’T want. Just want to hook up? Perfect. There is someone locked and loaded with their “From 1 to America how free are you tonight ;)” message ready for you to pounce. Want a real date? Believe it or not, there are guys on there who want that too! Swipe around, match up and just have some real conversations. Go get coffee and see where it can go from there!

So no, there aren’t any infallible places to meet good guys on campus, but there are some great starter places to look around. There are great guys all around us; sometimes they just want someone to make the first move. Put your big girl pants on (and I mean those jeans that make you look better than Nicki Minaj) and go chat those boys up.

–Lauren Pleasants

For next week’s theme, First Dates, Sharon will be answering questions on everything you need to know about first dates, what to wear, how to act, where to go, what moves to make and whether the first date will lead to a second date.

Whatever the case may be, submit your questions to hercampusfsu1@gmail.com stating your first name, last name, first initial and age by midnight this Thursday, Feb. 11. If you would like to be published anonymously, we can do that as well. Just ask when you submit! The first three people to submit questions will receive a free beauty product, which may come in handy to seduce the guy you met at Coliseum last weekend! Remember, girls and guys are encouraged to send in questions, so stop swiping right and ask away!

*Names have been changed to protect identity.

Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a Creative Writing major with an affinity for take-your-breath-away-sentences. I also like solid 80s rock jams and blogging about my feelings. I'm constantly hopeful I can one day escape to the moon. For now, I'm enjoying attending a wonderfully diverse school and take pride in my beautiful group of friends.
Junior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media, aspiring social activism journalist, world traveler, and lover of flannel, Hungry Howie's, and cats.
Student at Florida State University studying Communication and Creative Writing. Addicted to iced vanilla lattes, Mike Wazowski and romantic comedies.
Her Campus at Florida State University.