Save Your Face/Save Your Grades: Look Great During Midterms

You’re going to look terrible during midterms and finals. It’s a fact not often discussed by admissions officers or FSU tour guides, but it is a reality of college that even the most energetic students face. As women (and men) we all must take a stand against dry skin and teachers who don’t make study guides. Thank goodness you’ve made your way through the pink-tinged rhetoric of Her Campus to find this article. You’ll be amazed at how easy and accessible each facet of your facial study guide can be. I’ve compiled five of the cheapest, easiest and most versatile products you can use to save some face (or more!) while saving your grades.

1. Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is the manna of organic beauty care. As a pale girl with sensitive skin and nine dollars in my bank account, it is my favorite product on this list. During midterms – also, winter/fall weather, if you’ve not looked at your syllabi – skin is dry, hair is dull and your eye makeup is smeared from either binge studying or crying. Coconut oil is perfect for moisturizing skin and hair in addition to being the best natural make-up remover. It’s light and organic so it won’t clog pores. It’s the best moisturizer for sensitive skin and turns dull, dry hair into shiny tresses. Massage into hair and leave for at least 20 minutes or slather on dry skin after showering.

Pro tip: If you’re a girl on a budget with the need for speed(y) hair color, use coconut oil to keep your skin from being stained by box dye. Rub along your hairline, ears and neck. Color without fear!

2. Grape Seed Oil

Nowadays makeup fanatics everywhere are obsessed with contouring. Although it can be done on pale skin, it takes a specific skill not to turn oneself into a porcelain doll. But even those blessed with excess melanin are looking for a way to brighten up cheekbones and cupids bows. In this respect, grape seed oil is my vice. After washing my face in the morning or after applying makeup, I dap and rub small amounts of the oil onto my face. If used as a natural strobe cream, swipe over the lightest parts of your contouring makeup. With or without makeup, this is how you brighten up dull, wintery skin.

Fun fact: I read about this in one of Megan Fox’s interviews.

3. Vaseline

Vaseline isn’t the most organic thing on this list, but it rocks regardless. Your dry, cold-whipped skin will thank you. Great for keeping lips plump and moisturized, it’s a staple in any season. If you fear that inevitable, crushing reality of time, use Vaseline under your eyes to minimize fine lines. If you want longer natural eyelashes, try swiping some over your lashes before bed. Or, just follow the eternally prudent Miranda Hobbes by rubbing some Vas on your hands, slipping them into Borghese spa gloves and binge watching infomercials. Your call.

4. Green Tea/Peppermint Oil Spray

This is something that my grandmother does for me, but with rosemary oil, which is disgusting so forget my senile grandmother and listen to me: green tea and peppermint oil face freshener! I like to make one of these every week in the winter. How? First, make a pot of green tea with two to three teabags. If you don’t know how to do that, I applaud you for getting into Florida State. You are truly blessed, go ‘Noles. Next, let it cool to room temperature or colder, and add a few drops of peppermint oil. Pour it into a spray bottle and shake it up, you’re good to go. I spray this on my face after washing it and after waking up. It’s great for keeping skin perfectly moisturized and prepped for makeup, in addition to relieving oily skin and closing pores. If you’re not ready for an exam but want to look the part, this is your brew.

5. Toothpaste – On Your Nails 

During the winter, nails get gross so use this little ditty to fix that problem. I have no science to back that up with. That being said, nails are weird. They’re these dead but growing but totally gross cells that we paint and take pictures of to gain social acceptance. If you’re down with that, try scrubbing your nails with toothpaste after removing nail polish. It strengthens your nails, brightens them and through some magic makes natural nails look fabulous. It’s quick and easy and your nails will thank you.

Her Campus at Florida State University.