Sarah Sweat: FSU Alumna and IP Program Assistant

Name: Sarah Sweat

Hometown: Orlando, Florida

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering

Graduation Year: Spring 2016

Her Campus (HC): Tell me about your time as an undergrad at FSU. What were some of the things that you were involved with?

Sarah Sweat (SS): My junior and senior year I was a FIG leader, so I taught an interest group class made up of 20-30 freshman pre-engineering students. I got involved with Dance Marathon at FSU for the first time when I was a sophomore as a dancer and dancer representative. During my junior year I was the DM Finance Assistant and became the Finance Chair my senior year. I’m currently serving as the Finance Chair for the DM Alumni Board. I also was an International Programs Student Recruiter for three years.

HC: You spent one semester abroad as an undergrad in London through FSU’s International Programs and just finished working there for six months as a Program Assistant. What is it about the city that called you back?

SS: I originally accepted a job offer in Michigan after graduating, so I almost moved Detroit, but then I applied for this position and got it. I took the job instantly because I had such a fantastic time as a student in London. It really changed my perspective on life and what I wanted for my future. I wanted to come back so that I could foster that experience for other students. I also realized that life is short and I have always wanted to travel the world. And I thought if not now when?

Courtesy: Florida State University

HC: What were some differences coming back to London for a second time as a Program Assistant rather than as a student?

SS: It really gave me a chance to self-reflect on the experience and the people. It was truly about immersing myself in this city and helping students “find their own London” since I had already found mine.

HC: What will you take away the most from your time living abroad?

SS: A newfound independence. I’ve always been an independent person but this job and this city has shown me what I am truly capable of. It’s also taught me that life is short and to do what you want now. I think the true lessons from this experience will appear in my future endeavors whether it is a future job, place or interactions with people.

HC: What do you plan on doing once you’re back home?

SS: I had been looking forward to being back on the Dance Marathon floor this past weekend. I can’t wait to see my dog and my family. I hope to move to New York to pursue a job in the tech industry. But first I have to chill with my dog for a bit.

HC: Is there anything else you’d like to add about your time as a staff member for FSU International Programs?

SS: It’s been such an incredible opportunity for my experience to come full circle within the International Programs. From studying abroad my freshman year to working in the IP offices in Tallahassee and then to have just now completed my time working as a staff member at the FSU London Study Center, everything has been amazing. Getting to see how hard everyone works behind the scenes to make study abroad happen for students has also been incredible. Everyone here is so supportive of one another and are people that I will carry with me forever.

Her Campus at Florida State University.