Samuel Raley: Adventure-Loving, Aspiring Journalist

Name: Samuel Raley

Hometown: Tampa, Florida

Major: Editing, Writing & Media

Minor: Hospitality

Year: Senior

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus (HC): Describe yourself in four words.

Samuel Raley (SR): Funny. Intelligent. Talented. Creative.

HC: Do you have a job?

SR: Yes. I work at Jasmine Café. Everyone come in for $1 sake bombs on Sundays and Mondays! I’ll be there.

HC: We will be sure to take you up on that offer! What do you like to do in your free time?

SR: Skateboarding, climbing, fishing, really anything outdoor-related. I’ve grown up doing a lot of outdoor activities in South Florida.

HC: Any plans post-graduation?

SR: I want to take a jeep trip through the Amazon and move out to Washington or Oregon from there. I’m always up for a good adventure!

HC: Tell us a fun fact about yourself.

SR: I lived in Florence, Italy for a year when I was younger and traveled around Europe and Africa. I wasn’t completely fluent in Italian, but it was pretty cool to be able to speak and generally understand the language.

HC: So what’s a nice guy like you doing single here at FSU?

SR: [Laughs]. I guess I just haven’t found a girl that I like enough to seriously date. If the offer was on the table and the right girl came along, I certainly would be open to it.

HC: That leads us to our next question. What do your look for in a partner?

SR: I would like a girl that likes to have a good time, but isn’t too wild of course. More along the lines of laid back and has a good sense of humor.

HC: Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

SR: I hope to be working as a journalist for an outdoor magazine, such as Outdoor World or Vice. If that doesn’t work out, it would be cool to become a manager at a fancy hotel resort like a Ritz Carlton.

HC: If you could sum up your time here at FSU in one sentence, what would it be?

SR: Chaos that turned into a great learning experience.

HC: Where’s your favorite place to eat in Tallahassee?

SR: That’s a tough one because I have a thousand favorite places here, but it depends on what I’m in the mood for. For breakfast, Paisley Cafe. For lunch, Metro Deli. And for dinner, Kool Beanz Café.

HC: You were just given a superpower. What is it?

SR: Teleportation. I would go anywhere, any time.

HC: Tell us a little bit about your family.

SR: My older sister is an advertising agent out in California. My younger sister is adopted from China and she’s currently working on her engineering degree at University of Southern California. It was nice growing up with two sisters with such big ambitions and goals. They definitely kept me grounded and motivated.

HC: What’s your biggest fear?

SR: Definitely sharks. It terrifies me that you can’t see them coming.

HC: Finally, what’s your favorite animal?

SR: Dogs, definitely not cats!

Vanessa Coppola is a junior at the Florida State University, studying English: Editing, Writing, and Media. In her spare time, she loves reading and catching up on her favorite shows. She aspires to work for a publishing company someday in New York City, which is where her original hometown is located. When she's not writing up articles, she's either at the pool with a magazine in hand, or at the mall shopping for the latest fashion trends!
Her Campus at Florida State University.