Samantha Bravo: Dance Marathon Expert

Whether you are a Dance Marathon veteran or a newbie to it all, you will definitely love hearing about Samantha Bravo’s experiences with the event. This year she is participating as a leader in the position of ‘Fundraising Captain.’ I got a chance to learn more about her personal experiences with DM and get some insight on the event and how to be involved. Her advice is killer, so keep reading on and check out what this girl-boss has already accomplished and what her hopes for this year’s DM are. We’re already so proud of the statement all of us participants accomplished and cannot wait to see what’s in store for Dance Marathon at FSU.

Her Campus (HC): What initially inspired you to join in on Dance Marathon?

Samantha Bravo (SB): My cousin had been involved with Dance Marathon at the University of Florida so I had known about the organization before coming to Florida State University. I remember thinking Dance Marathon was solely for Greek life. However, when I passed by Brittany, a Dance Marathon at Florida State University alumnae, holding a cardboard cutout of Nate Ferrel, one of your miracle kids, I decided to stop and find out more. Brittany’s enthusiasm about Dance Marathon and reassurance that anyone can be part of the organization inspired me to sign up as a fundraiser that day. However, it was the miracle kids’ stories about how Dance Marathon helped them that [led] me to become more involved with the organization and want to do as much as I possibly could For the Kids.

HC: How would you define Dance Marathon?

SB: Dance Marathon is a year-long movement lead by students to do the most we possibly can for the kids in Shands Children’s Hospital and the FSU College of Medicine Pediatric Outreach Program.

HC: What does Dance Marathon mean to you?

SB: To me, Dance Marathon is my home on campus. It is the organization I am most passionate about and my outlet on campus to ensure a better tomorrow for kids, right now.

HC: What did you have to do in order to become a captain for Dance Marathon?

SB: In order to be a captain, you have to have had participated as a dancer at least once. If you meet this requirement, you can apply online. After that, you are invited to a series of interviews and are contacted soon after letting you know if you’ve been accepted for a position.

HC: When did you realize you wanted to continue being a part of this organization following last year?

SB: During the marathon, I realized this was an organization I wanted to be involved with for the remainder of my college career. After hearing each story from the miracle families, my decision to stick with Dance Marathon was reinforced even more.

HC: What has been the most noteworthy accomplishment you have made with Dance Marathon?

SB: To date, I have raised $9,361.79 in total for Dance Marathon. This is definitely my most noteworthy accomplishment I have made with Dance Marathon. Every time I see this amount my day automatically gets better. Knowing that I am capable of raising this much money, an amount I could’ve never dreamed of makes me hopeful that one day kids won’t have to spend extended periods of their childhood in hospital rooms.

HC: What advice would you give to students that are just starting out with this organization?

SB: Get involved as much as you can. Go to team meetings, go to events, and meet the families whenever you’re given the chance. Dance Marathon is an amazing organization and the more involved you are, the more your passion will grow.

HC: As far as fundraising, what has been the most effective way to get people to donate?

SB: My fundraising strategies are based off two things: personalization and passion. Make sure to reach out to individuals, don’t send mass texts or emails. Make sure they know you’re reaching out to them specifically. Also, share your passion. People will admire your passion and dedication for the cause so speak up about it; make sure to tell them your ‘why’ and they’ll be more inclined to donate.

HC: Can you explain what FTK means?

SB: FTK stands for “For The Kids.” It is basically the slogan of Dance Marathon meaning that everything we do, including all the money we raise, all of the 40 hours on our feet, and all events held year long, [is] For The Kids.

HC: What children’s stories have made the largest impact on you?

SB: All of the kids’ stories have made a huge impact on me. Though their stories are so different, they all share one common ground – kids overcoming their obstacles. Some have been cured and others have learned to live with their diseases, but each of them are equally as strong as inspiring.

HC: How would you describe the actual dancing events of Dance Marathon?

SB: The line dance is definitely the longest choreography I have ever had to learn, especially since I am not a dancer. The internal team is always around to help you practice and perfect your moves for the line dance every hour. Though the choreography is long, it’s really easy and the amazing song choices make it easy to keep track of where you are in the dance. It’s definitely one of the most fun parts of the marathon.

HC: What advice would you give to first-timers for the event? s make it easy to keep track of where you are in the dance. It’s definitely one of the most fun parts of the marathon.

SB: Bring a change of clothes.. or two! If you really want to make the most of the event, bring costumes for each theme hour! Trust me, 20 hours on your feet is a lot and little tricks like rolling your feet on a tennis ball or changing your shoes (and socks!) make a huge difference! Also, embrace the experience. Learn the line dance perfectly, dance for all of silent disco, go hard during rave hour, take a knee for every story, and try to meet all the kids! This is an amazing experience so take advantage of this event and have the best time possible.

HC: How is this year’s fundraising going (in comparison to last year)?

SB: Last year, I didn’t start my hardcore fundraising till around late December/early January, however, because of my amazing friends and family who support me and this cause, I was able to raise $6,220, which is really crazy considering my original goal was $300! This year, I have already started my fundraising strategies and am currently at $3,066.79! I am hoping to raise $10,000 this year and I’m very optimistic about this goal!

HC: How has your perspective changed on the event as a captain?

SB: Being part of the internal team this year has made me realize how inclusive Dance Marathon really is. Dance Marathon really tries to get all students on our campus involved with the organization. There are so many opportunities for students to get involved with Dance Marathon and feel more connected to the organization.

All photos courtesy of Samantha Bravo.

Miami, FL 
Her Campus at Florida State University.