“RuPaul’s Drag Race” is Back

If you’ve never heard of RuPaul’s Drag Race, it’s time to crawl out of the sad rock you’ve been living under. Over the past few years, this show has not only gained an immense following but has become a huge part of pop culture. For those following the show, this season was especially anticipated because it’s the third installment of the All Stars spin-off. This means all the favorites from the past are coming back for a second chance at $100,000 and their name on the drag queen hall of fame.

Courtesy: Billboard

The new season premiered on Thursday, January 25, and brought just as much charm, fashion and sass as can be expected. The episode began with a short parody of the successful Hulu show, Handmaid’s Tale, and followed into the classic introductions. The first one up was “crownless drag superstar” Trixie Mattel who rolled out on rollerblades with her iconic blonde hair setting the tone for the rest of the episode.

Next, each queen came out giving their backstory with the show. Many fan favorites such as Milk, Chi Chi DeVayne and Kennedy Davenport made their returns, along with season nine star Aja. Other memorable introductions include the villain of season two, Morgan McMichaels, BenDeLaCreme and of course Shangela Laquifa Wadley, as she literally popped out of a box.

Of course, nothing compared to the big reveal of the tenth queen. Before the season started, fan rumors were flying because only nine out of the ten contestants had been revealed. In typical RuPaul fashion, plot twists are to be expected and this one did not disappoint. RuPaul himself comes out to greet the girls and announce that there’s still one queen missing. Moments later, we see BeBe Zahara Benet walk through the double doors leaving everyone shocked and confused. Because she was the winner of the very first season of Drag Race, some felt that her presence was unfair, while others welcomed the competition.

The past All Star rules continue to apply this season and challenges are expected to be better than ever. From the first episode alone, the performances presented were vibrant and impressive. The lip sync battle to Nicki Minaj’s “Anaconda” is something I don’t think I’ll ever forget. Now with nine talented queens after episode one’s elimination, there’s no doubt that this season will be one of the best so far. Think of all the iconic quotes yet to come.

Courtesy: VH1

You can catch RuPaul’s Drag Race: All Stars airing on Thursdays at 8 p.m. on VH1.

Editing, Writing, and Media major at FSU. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.