Rubi Martinez: Exquisite Latina Fashionista!

Culturally involved, empowered woman Rubi Martinez has a passion for fashion. With big dreams for the fashion industry this feisty Mexicana doesn’t take no for an answer and knows how to make a path for herself. A hard worker with plenty of vision, values, and a good head on her shoulders, Rubi Martinez is definitely full of “star power.”

Name: Rubi Martinez

Year in School: Senior

Major: Retail Merchandising and Product Development with a minor in Business

Hometown: Miami, Florida

Her Campus (HC): What do you miss most about home?

Rubi Martinez (RM): Ethnic food! Being able to crave any type of food and going to different restaurants was amazing! Tallahassee is limited on food choices and makes me crave ethnic food even more.

HC: What is your nationality?

RM: I am Mexican-American. My parents came to the United States in the early 1980’s looking for a better lifestyle and then had my two brothers and me.

HC: How do you like to celebrate your heritage?

RM: I love to make Mexican food. I know it’s sold around Tallahassee but there is nothing like real authentic Mexican food. As a college student it’s hard to find time to really cook but when I do I love to make Enchiladas.

HC: How do you think your culture has influenced you?

RM: As a Mexican-American woman I was always taught to be independent. We are known to be hard workers who strive to be successful in life. I don’t take “no” for an answer and I don’t settle. I work hard for my family, friends, my community, and most importantly for myself. If I don’t do it, who will? It’s important to remember why I have been given the opportunity to attend school at FSU.

HC: Why did you choose your major?

RM: At first, I was a criminology major and then I got Involved with Reflections Modeling Troupe. I was exposed to the fashion industry and realized that I had a talent for it. It was a passion that I never knew existed within myself and decided to become a student in the Retail Merchandising Program here at FSU. I really enjoy my program and would like to work as a buyer for a retail company. My ultimate dream is to become a celebrity stylist and eventually have my own company.

HC: What are some of your plans for after graduation?

RM: I want to do a retail internship over the summer and then attend the Business Graduate Program here at Florida State University in the fall of 2015. As a senior it is nerve-wracking to know graduation is right around the corner, but as of now I am taking it one day at a time.

HC: How are you involved on campus? What organization do you belong to?

RM: I am currently a sister of Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority Incorporated. I became a member in spring 2014 and I haven’t looked back. My sisterhood is the best decision I made in my college career; I chose this organization because we represent diversity at its finest. I wanted to become a part of a sisterhood that would promote everything that I believe in and would help me grow as an individual. Theta Nu Xi is my home away from home. I am currently the parliamentarian and external social chair for my organization. I also signed up to be a mentor with the Freshman Leadership Institute this year and hope to help someone get the most out of their experience here at FSU.  As a senior I believe it is important to share my knowledge with another peer and always give back to my Seminole community.

HC: What has been your favorite part about attending Florida State University?

RM: I would definitely have to say getting the “real” college experience. Being so far from home I was able to grow as an individual and really get out of my comfort zone. I got involved on campus and was able to make great connections with amazing people. To be a Seminole is such a great experience because we have so much school spirit, support from the town, and just an amazing school overall.

HC: If you could give one piece of advice to an incoming freshman, what would it be?

RM: Live each day like it’s your last!  These four years will fly by faster than you can imagine. If I could go back and relive my college years I would in a heartbeat because once it’s over, it’s over. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.