Culture > News

The Role of ‘Celebrity’ in the 2020 Presidential Election

As we inch closer to the presidential election that will most certainly be one for the books, we have all had to align with and defend the candidate of our choice—and celebrities are not exempt. With a major downside of stardom being the constant scrutinization by both your biggest fans as well as people who have no idea who you are, many celebrities have grappled with voicing their opinions on this year’s presidential candidates. 

The latest victim on social trial is Chris Pratt, most beloved for his roles in Parks & Rec and Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. When several Avengers cast members banded together to help endorse and raise funds for Joe Biden’s presidential campaign by promising the opportunity to attend a lucrative meet and greet, fans were well aware of Chris Pratt’s absence from the list of participating cast members. Pratt had already received a chunk of criticism from fans due to his membership with a conservative church that has alleged anti-LBTQ+ beliefs, although he took it upon himself to deny these claims. Even further, fans connected Pratt’s supposed secret support for President Donald Trump to his absence in the Marvel/Biden campaign. In spite of one’s need for privacy, celebrities like Pratt are outliers to this agreement when they become beacons of inspiration and advice for people from all walks of life. Celebrities are now a go-to when it comes to choosing what to wear, what to watch, and now, who it is that we should vote for in a presidential election. 

neon instagram sign with heart
Photo by Prateek Katyal from Unsplash
Despite the potential backlash, certain celebrities have taken a more creative approach in showcasing their political views. Saturday Night Live’witty renditions of both the presidential and vice-presidential candidates by their comedian-filled cohort take a more nuanced angle in addressing political conversations. With their skits being led by Hollywood powerhouses Alec Baldwin and Jim Carrey, who respectively play as Donald Trump and Joe Biden, they give an audience the chance to see an unbiased yet politically-charged side of their personalities. 

In the lyrics of Demi Lovato’s newly-released single “Commander in Chief,” she directly addresses President Donald Trump and his mishandling of racial issues, nationwide poverty and the everlasting COVID-19 pandemic. Fans and other songwriters commended Lovato for creating and releasing a song with such pointed lyrics. When asked to respond to criticism, she stated that the song is more important to her than her career and that it stands for something which she truly believes in even if she is at risk of losing a few fans. On the same stage where Lovato performed her political single for the first time, Grammy-winning artist Lizzo accepted her award for “Top Song Sales Artist” in a little black dress with the word “vote” printed all over. In her speech, she encouraged viewers to embrace their right to vote and have their voices heard in any way they can. 

The ability that just a few A-list celebrities have to make such powerful political statements sometimes without even saying a word is one that they all should take advantage of. As the world of social media continues to grow, we find ourselves almost more involved in other people’s lives than we intend to be. If there was ever a better time to voice your thoughts and opinions on topics that could change the course of a nation, that time is most certainly now. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

writer.
Her Campus at Florida State University.