Richard Lewis: FSU’s Flying High Circus Ringmaster and Lover of Theatre

Name: Richard Lewis

Year: Junior

Age: 22

Major: Studio Art

Hometown: Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

Courtesy: Richard Lewis

Her Campus (HC): What first made you want to audition for Florida State’s Flying High Circus?

Richard Lewis (RL): I’ve had an itch to perform since 2012. I did three years of theatre in high school, graduated, then went on to focus solely on my future as an artist by entering galleries and taking art classes, etc. I never had the time to perform anymore, until now. I didn’t hesitate for a single second to audition. I get a serious rush when I’m on stage, and I’ve missed it very much.

HC: Were you nervous about joining the circus since it was your first semester at FSU?

RL: Honestly, I kind of weighed the odds of me getting into the circus as a performer and compared it to performing on stage at FSU’s Fine Arts Theatre; I felt I had a better shot at this. Plus, it was something new for me! Mom always called me a clown, so what better place for me than the circus? I didn’t see anything pitted against me for me to be nervous. If there was any time to do this, it was now.

HC: What do you think the circus brings to FSU’s campus?

RL: FSU’s circus gives our campus a sense of character that you will rarely find at any other university. Most notable universities have their football teams, marching bands and clubs for anything you can think of. The circus differentiates us from the rest, which FSU has historically been pretty great at.

HC: What would you be doing if you weren’t ringmaster?

RL: I would’ve pursued another outlet to perform, for sure. The audition dates last semester for ringmaster were really close to the audition dates for FSU’s improv troupe No Bears Allowed. If I didn’t try one, I would’ve gone for the other. I was aching to be involved with the awesome stuff FSU had to offer.

HC: How do you balance work, school and the circus?

RL: I wish I could say I have it all planned out, but really I just kind of wing it! I walk the tight rope confidently fumbling along, but I never fall off. Along the way, I see how many things I can juggle. I live to surprise myself with what I’m capable of, I suppose.

HC: What can we expect to see this semester from the Flying High Circus?

RL: A plethora of new, talented and magnetic performers; there’s so many of us. I’m pretty sure there’s still people who’ve escaped my radar entirely. Luckily enough for our Spring audiences, they’ll undoubtedly get to see FSU’s finest. There’s no escaping us by that point. Get ready!

HC: What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about joining the circus? 

RL: Don’t stress about not having a “talent.” There is a spot for absolutely anyone. The circus excentuates the best and strongest aspects of any individual. Maybe you’re particularly well balanced, you have good comedic timing, or you are good with handling money and organizing events. There’s a place for you and once you’re in, consider yourself indispensable. I’m sure everyone needs that at some point in their life.

Her Campus at Florida State University.