Review of The Huntsman: Winter’s War

The Huntsman: Winter’s War takes another look into the fairytale of Snow White. And like with all fairytales, love is at the center of this movie, but love seems to be a burden for these characters. They are constantly being tricked by others who say that their love was just an insignificant feeling, that in turn weakened and disappointed them.

Speckled throughout the movie, enveloping the motif of love is action. The Huntsman: Winter’s War acts as not only a prequel, but also as a sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman. In the first half of the movie, we are shown how the Huntsman is birthed: kids are dragged from their homes by a broken-hearted and motherless Freya (Emily Blunt) and the younger and at times kinder sister of Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron).

Courtesy: Screen Crush

We watch the young children practice in the art of war until they morph into young carnal adults. Two exemplary fighters of the group are Eric (Chris Hemsworth) and Sara (Jessica Chastain). Throughout the movie, the two have many fight scenes together, fighting with and against each other. The choreography of the fight scenes is truly well done and adds excitement to the movie.

As a sequel, Eric works to find Ravenna’s golden mirror and bring it to the sanctuary for Snow White, but in his endeavors, he is faced with many obstacles. However, in order to help him in his journey, dwarves join him. The dwarves are great at relieving tension, cracking jokes left and right, sometimes unbeknownst to themselves.

Not going to lie, I thought the dwarves stole the show with their little back and forths and their own budding romance. We have one scene where the dwarf Nion (Nick Frost) is an a tavern with his brother (Rob Brydon) and Eric when they are accosted by some strangers. Nion being big and mighty says that he could definitely take them because he has a huntsman with him, which, in turn, isn’t all that great against a group of Hunstmen. Oops!

If you enjoy fantasy and enjoy the characters of Queen Ravenna and Eric, this will be a movie you want to see. Or if the plot just seems to interest you, it’s a win too because the movie is one where it can stand on its own, so there is no need to watch the previous movie!

My name is Zahra. Love the color green and love FSU
Her Campus at Florida State University.