Remembering the Death of Mac Miller: One Year Later

September 7, 2018. This date will forever go down in history as the day the music industry lost one of its best. Malcolm James McCormick, otherwise known as Mac Miller, died of an alleged drug overdose in his Los Angeles apartment on this day at the young age of twenty-six. However, it is not how he went that fans should remember him by, it is his legacy that he left behind that will continue to grow and inspire. One year later, we remember not only his music but more importantly, the message it offers. 

As many know, Ariana Grande and Mac Miller dated for some time. They first made their relationship public in August of 2016; however, they had been best friends for years. The two collaborated on many songs together, their most popular being “My Favorite Part” and “The Way.” In May of 2018, the couple split due to their “busy schedules,” according to People Magazine. In his final interview, Mac Miller claimed that he was in love with Grande. After Mac Miller died, Ariana was full of grief. The singer said in an interview with Vogue, “He was the best person ever, and he didn’t deserve the demons he had. I was the glue for such a long time, and I found myself becoming… less and less sticky,”  

Courtesy: BBC

One year later Ariana, like many others are still grieving over the tragic loss. On Wednesday, Sep. 4, 2019, a few days before Mac Miller’s first death anniversary, Cameron James Pettit was arrested and charged with selling Mac Miller counterfeit drugs, which is thought to have led to his tragic death. Ariana told TMZ that she wanted jail time for Pettit. Miller’s father also commented on the arrest by saying, “So they finally caught the motherf***** that sold him the drugs. And we find comfort in that.”  

Even though Mac Miller is no longer with us, fans still remember him by the lyrics in his songs. His music was inspirational and helped many through tough times. His most recent album, titled Swimming, was released shortly before he passed. Songs on this album focused on issues that are relevant and relatable to people today. He addressed drug use, suicide, and depression, topics that are not always easy to discuss. “2009” was a fan favorite on the album. A memorable verse from the song is, “Take my time to finish, mind my business / A life ain’t a life ’til you live it / I was digging me a hole big enough to bury my soul / Weight of the world, I gotta carry my own / My own, with these songs I can carry you home / I’m right here when you’re scared and alone.” Often, his songs addressed his own ongoing struggle with drug addiction and depression. In one interview with Larry King in 2015, Miller said, “I think it [the drug addiction] started [with success], it’s funny because you talk to people, and they say, ‘What do you have to be depressed about? You have money.’… Fame is tricky because you read what’s said about you, and you know what you know to be true, and the lines start to blur.”

One year later, we reflect on the powerful music that Mac Miller has given us. While he is no longer with us, Mac’s legacy will live on forever in the lyrics of his songs, and through the generations that will enjoy his music.

Rest in Peace, Mac.

Sarah is a Sophomore at Florida State University, pursuing a degree in Advertising and Hospitality. In her free time, she enjoys going to concerts and taking pictures.
Her Campus at Florida State University.