Rebekah Whittington: Camp Kesem Director

Name: Rebekah Whittington

Hometown: Peachtree City, GA      

Age: 21

Year: Junior   

Major: Finance and Real Estate

This year, Rebekah Whittington was selected as Camp Kesem’s 2016-2017 Director. She is a hardworking, dedicated student with a heart of gold. While she claims that Camp Kesem changed her life, it is she who is positively impacting the lives of others with her kindness and generosity.

Her Campus (HC): Can you tell us more about Camp Kesem?

Rebekah Whittington (RW): Camp Kesem is a non-profit student run organization that provides year-long support and a free week of summer camp to children whose parents have been affected by cancer. The official slogan is “A child’s friend through and beyond a parent’s cancer.” The FSU Chapter of Camp Kesem is in its sixth year of operation. We had our largest camp ever last year and are looking to grow even more this upcoming year! I am currently one of two Co-Directors of the FSU Chapter who lead a board of sixteen student leaders.

HC: How did you first get involved with Camp Kesem?

RW: I had heard about a Camp Kesem at another school before I even came to FSU. When I started my freshman year, I made sure to look into the CK chapter at FSU and when I heard they were having an informational session a couple of weeks into my freshmen year, I went. The rest is history.

HC: What is the most rewarding thing about this organization and the work you guys do?

RW: Seeing the smiles on our camper’s faces. It sounds cheesy, but it’s true. Last year we had one camper say to another counselor “This is the happiest I’ve ever been in my entire life,” and he was serious. Camp is only five days long so we try to pack as many fun and silly events as we can. It is so important for our campers to see other children are going through the same thing as them and they are okay. Another rewarding thing about Camp Kesem is to see how our campers come to camp a little shy and skeptical, and leave happier, more confident and with friendships that last until camp the next year. 

Courtesy: Rebekah Whittington

HC: How can students get involved? Do you have any advice for people that are interested in Camp Kesem?

RW: Students can get involved in several ways! The most popular way students get involved is to apply to be a counselor at camp. All of our counselors are FSU student volunteers. Counselors are responsible for completing all official Kesem training, fundraising for camp and attending camp! The applications opens in December each year for counselors, followed by interviews in January. Students who do not necessarily want to be counselors but still want to help Camp Kesem can set up a Classy fundraising page to raise money for camp. Our goal is to raise $60,000 this year. Students can also encourage other organizations they are involved in to sponsor a camper by creating a team Classy page.

HC: Apart from Camp Kesem, what other organizations are you involved with on campus?

RW: I am a Lady Spirithunter, a member of the Honors Student Organization and a former Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program participant. Lady Spirithunters strive “to promote Florida State University spirit and traditions through the active support of intercollegiate athletics; as well as to serve the Tallahassee and school community.” Essentially, we support the varsity athletic teams by painting war stripes on fans faces and working in the varsity skyboxes. I participated in the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program under Dr. James Ang, the Bank of America Eminent Scholar in Finance. The UROP program connects freshman and sophomore year students with faculty doing research.

HC: How have the organizations you are a part of shaped your college experience?

RW: The organizations I am apart of have connected me with some of the greatest people I could ever encounter. I have seen so many selfless, motivated people through Camp Kesem. I truly learned the meaning of “service” in college from watching my peers.

Her Campus at Florida State University.