If you follow me on Instagram, you will know that my fiancée and I recently adopted a dog together (okay, recently may mean November, but it still feels pretty new). We had been dreaming about getting a dog for upward of two years but had been living in the dorms on campus where they weren’t allowed, and there wasn’t enough space for one. However, we moved into our first apartment together almost a year ago, and after months of discussion, contemplation and lots of searching, we finally got a dog!

Dog smiling
Jaelynn Hart
Meet Patch (named so for obvious reasons). We found him about two hours north in Georgia at a little rescue called Cross Critters Rescue. He is a two-year-old husky-mix (probably mixed with a lab and/or dalmatian judging from his appearance) and is snow-white with black spots here and there. His most defining feature is his curly tail (we call it a donut) that curls more the happier he is. He is nothing more than a big baby. 

Getting Patch was not an easy decision. We had to take in a lotof factors – he had to be good with kids in case my siblings came to visit; I have a cat so he had to be good with cats; we live in an apartment so he had to be a good inside dog. Which brings me to my first point: 

Make 100% Sure This is What You Want

A dog is not a toy. He’s not a possession or a material object and he is not something you can just throw away when you get tired of him. I know everybody says this, but as somebody who spent years at an animal shelter, too many animals get returned, abandoned or thrown away for this not to be repeated. This is a living, breathing animal who you are going to be responsible for for the next 15+ years (depending on how old he is when you get him, of course). Really think about this decision. 

Each Dog Has Its Own Personality

Just like humans, dogs have personalities. For example, Patch has a huge personality! He’s incredibly playful and loves to run around the house at top speed, but he’s also content with playing by himself – he will literally take a toy in his mouth, throw his head back and fetch it himself. He’s also a huge attention hog. If Elese and I are cuddling on the couch or something, he’ll just jump up and wiggle his way between us until we give him attention. But then there are other dogs who prefer just cuddling and sleeping all day. There are also dogs who need to be outside because they have so much energy and need the space to run. There are also dogs who don’t want a lot of attention and prefer to be left alone a lot. Basically, what I’m saying is: Either get to know the dog first so you’re sure you’re getting what best fits your needs or learn how to adapt. 

Dogs Can Have Mental Illnesses Too

Patch has severe separation anxiety. We didn’t know this when we adopted him, and it’s something that took a while to understand. We don’t know anything about his past or what kind of owners he had before, but we do know that he was dumped at the rescue without a word. So, it’s understandable that he freaks out and gets really upset every time Elese and I leave the house, but it took a bit of time for us to adjust to this. We’ve had to kennel train him, had to get a dog-proof trash can and had to make a few adjustments to our lives in order to help him cope with his anxiety and also to keep ourselves sane. Dogs can have mental illnesses or troubles just like humans can, and that is something that should be heavily considered when you’re thinking about adopting a dog. 

Getting a dog is an incredibly big decision. They’re expensive – being a cat person my entire life, I didn’t expect a dog’s vet bills to be so much more expensive than my cat’s, and we also had to pay for training to help with his anxiety. They’re a lot of work and responsibility. They can drive you crazy sometimes. They can tear stuff up if they’re not trained yet. They may not get along with any pets you already have – my cat hates Patch and it’s been a huge adjustment process. 

But Patch also cuddles me when my depression is really bad. He loves to play fetch with us and is pretty darn good at it. He’s a huge foodie – he will do just about anything for a treat, and he is obsessed with peanut butter and apples. He loves to lay at the park and bask in the sunshine when he’s not running around making a bunch of new friends. He loves meeting new people but Elese and I are his favorite. 

A dog is a huge responsibility. But they can also be the best friend you could ask for. 

Dog side profile
Jaelynn Hart
Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

I am a Creative Writing major studying at Florida State University. I have loved writing all kinds of genres since I was ten years old, and that passion has only grown over the last eleven years. Aside from writing, my passions also include drawing, painting, and cuddling my cat, Mason.
Her Campus at Florida State University.