Rating Tallahassee Coffee Shops: From an Ex-Barista

During my senior year of high school, I found employment at a café that served the best cold brew, right by my house. To this day, I constantly reminisce on the comforting aroma of coffee brewing and fresh croissants baking at six in the morning. I was incredibly lucky to have been surrounded by co-workers who had much to offer in coffee knowledge. With this, I shortly became a bit of a coffee snob. Missing my days at Cry Baby Café, I am always on the hunt for a Tallahassee establishment with a similar vibe, to fill my so-called coffee void. I picked out five popular coffee spots, tried their cold brew—you can always tell if a place is good based on their cold brew—and will be giving them two scores: one based on the coffee and an overall rating.

RedEye Coffee

Red Eye Coffee
Original photo by Natali Misiri

Oh boy. Unfortunately, as it was my first time going to RedEye Coffee, I had no idea where to park. The only parking that was immediately evident upon arrival had approximately 10 spots, all of which were full. I ended up circling around until someone left, but alas I was able to park and enter. The outdoor seating was very cute, and they had a decent menu featuring food and beverages. Their 16oz Cold Brew costs $3.75 and was by far the worst one I have tried. It was watered down and tasted like the bottom of a carafe that had been sitting out all day. Perhaps, I got unlucky and was poured a bad batch of brew.

Cold Brew: one/10

Overall: seven/10

*UPDATE (3/20/21)* 

RedEye Coffee reached out to me on Instagram to let me know they were disappointed I had a negative experience. The message made it clear that they take customer service seriously, and truly care about what consumers have to say. They even offered me a complimentary cold brew. I want to make it clear that while my personal experience at RedEye Coffee was not the best, their kindness spoke volumes. As I mentioned prior, I was likely unlucky the day I visited, and my review is not a complete reflection of the establishment as a whole. 

Lucky Goat Coffee

Lucky Goat Coffee
Original photo by Natali Misiri

Looks can be deceiving. I had previously been to Lucky Goat for the perfect iced latte, which I absolutely love. However, the cold brew disappointed me a tad. For a 16oz Cold Brew running me $4, I was faced with the disappointment of deception. This coffee looked like it was about to be a slapper. I was especially excited about the sippy-cup lid. However, it fell flat in flavor, and lacked the strength and robustness of other cold brews. While this may be a positive for some, I appreciate the taste of a strong coffee, and it was not as distinguished as others on this list. Lucky Goat has a handful of locations, delectable baked goods (I’m a fan of the bear claw) and indoor/outdoor seating.

Cold Brew: five/10

Overall: seven and a half/10

Starbucks

If you live in Tallahassee, you know that the Starbucks on West Tennessee Street is an absolute nightmare in the morning. The line is longer than the building itself, the coffee is overpriced and the cars in the drive-thru aren’t particularly nice. My heart goes out to the employees and baristas. I will say, their Nitro Cold Brew is powerful and incredibly consistent. It comes in at a whopping $4.75 for a 16oz grande, but when you’re in the mood for Starbies, money is no longer a question.

Cold Brew: eight/10

Overall: six/10

The Black Dog Cafe

Yes, yes, yes! The Black Dog Cafe is not only located in the perfect spot, right alongside Lake Ella but also has an earthy, laid back-atmosphere for studying or wholesome coffee dates. The cafe features baked goods, coffee and other beverages, indoor/outdoor seating and scenic views. Their 16oz Cold Brew was $2.50 and absolutely delicious. This one took me back to my days at Cry Baby. It was strong, robust, yet smooth and wallet-friendly! Simply based on the café itself, and the beverage, this one’s a winner.

Cold Brew: nine/10

Overall: ten/10

Paper Fox Coffee

Paper Fox Coffee
Original photo by Natali Misiri

As a Florida State Student, I had already been to Paper Fox Coffee for lattes. Upon my quest for a cold brew, I was pleasantly surprised by this classic Tallahassee study spot. For starters, the barista was incredibly kind, and we love nice people. The 16oz Cold Brew was $3.50 and honestly quite delicious. I was also given the option to have no ice in it at no cost but opted for the latter. This cold brew was incredible. Frothy, silky, smooth and perfect. Absolutely no complaints. As an added plus, this location is convenient for those who live on campus and offers a few outdoor tables, spacious indoor seats and a zen atmosphere.

Cold Brew: ten/10

Overall: nine/10

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

*This article has been edited after its publishing date due to new information received by the author.*

Economics Major at Florida State University from Tirana, Albania.
Her Campus at Florida State University.