Ranking Every Song on Bad Bunny’s “YHLQMDLG”

In a collage of early 2000s nostalgia lies Bad Bunny’s album “YHLQMDLG” (I Do Whatever I Want). Challenging the status quo, Bad Bunny puts heat on other Latin trap artists by proving how far true originality can take you. This album is not just about Bad Bunny – it is an album full of self-empowerment, finding yourself when you are broken and putting back together all the pieces. He offers REAL perspectives capturing the human experience in its darkest and brightest moments. “Si Veo a Tu Mama,” the opening track of the album, starts off with a disillusioned young man on the brink of suicide as he is swallowed by a party taking place around him. Yet as he grabs the rope, the little boy on the cover of the album saves him by introducing him to none other than Bad Bunny.  

Without a doubt, this album delivered which is why ranking each song on the album seems like an almost impossible task. But someone has to do it right?  

20. “Esta Cabron Ser Yo” 

Whenever I play the album through I find myself automatically pressing the skip button. This song is good ,however, it lacks the range that the other songs on the album have. Its consistent beat lack Bad Bunny flare making this song last on my list. 

19. “Puesto Pa’Guerrial” 

Stating that he’s “ready to fight” Bad Bunny proves that he’s willing to go the limits for someone he loves. However, just like “Esta Cabron Ser Yo” I find myself skipping this song more than the other songs on the album. This song is still a fun song that I’d listen to when I’m feeling myself. 

18. “Que Malo” 

This is probably one of the more lyrically interesting songs in the album. He isn’t the Bad Bunny we love in this situation, he’s the bad guy. This song took an interesting turn as most songs talk about heartbreak and enjoying life while this one was about the pleasures of being the man you cheat on your partner with.  

17. “<3” 

Gracias, thank you. Bad Bunny ends his album on this song taking everyone and talking about his hardships. The slow, ethereal melody serves as the perfect way to wrap up his sophomore album. The melody goes perfectly with the lyrics as he empowers himself by saying he finally made it. However, this song left me and probably every album listener shocked. He says “Y en nueve meses vuelvo y saco otro/ Pa’ retirarme tranquilo como Miguel Cotto,” aka he’s going to retire after his next album. Whether this be true or not—Bad Bunny has left his mark on Latin music. 

16.” P FKN R” 

Of course, the Puerto Rican artist would have a song to pay tribute to his beautiful island. I know every Puerto Rican related to this song in some degree and the fact that he pays homage to his island serves as a reminder to love your roots.  

Gabriella Alexander with Puerto Rican flag cape
Gabriella Alexander

15. “Una Vez” 

Bad Bunny nailed the feeling of needing one more day with someone. He is extremely candid in this song making me love him even more. 

14. Solia” 

Bad Bunny would do Daft Punk proud with this hit. He experiments with various beats throughout the album using synth sounds to deliver a hit. The song has a near-perfect ending captivating the audience by gradually turning Bad Bunny’s voice into a robotic tune.  

13. “La Zona” 

If you need a workout song you got it. This song puts you in the zone getting  

12. “25/8” 

Bad Bunny’s voice sounds like honey in this song. Just an all-around good vibe to this beautiful song. 

11. “Pero Ya No” 

Meaning “No More” that’s exactly what Bad Bunny is trying to say in this song. This song makes you feel like you are enough.  

10. “Ignorantes”  

Personally, this is the song I LOVE driving to. The lyrics really hit home for me and the beat makes it the perfect car tune.  

9. “La Bichiyal”  

A party hit that will get you through 2020, to be honest.  

people with their hands raised during a concert
Pexels

8. “Hablamos Mañana” 

Spanish and Rock music come together in “Hablamos Mañana” emblematic of artists like Lil Wayne and Lil Peep who both mixed their love of rap and rock. Honestly, this song makes me feel on top of the world making me feel like I’m cruising down the street in an indie movie. If you haven’t listened to this music fusion, I highly recommend you take a quick listen.  

7. “La Santa” 

Bad Bunny ventures once again into the toxicity of certain relationships showing how not every love is a good love. This song is a reality check and a bop all in one.  

6. “Vete” 

Sadboi Benito came out to make this tragic song about getting rid of someone in your life. Being released as a single before the album’s release this song and its powerful message if one we need when times get tough.  

5. “A Tu Merced”  

A hit. Captures how you fell when you’re falling in love and don’t know it yet. 

Love neon sign
Shaira Dela Peña on Unsplash

4. “La Dificil” 

Implied in the title “La Dificil” aka the Difficult. This song captures the essence of chasing after someone that is not meant for you. It is a song that you HAVE to hear when you need to let go of that toxic person in your life.  

3. “Yo Perreo Sola” 

This IS 2020’s girl anthem. Translating to “I Party Alone,” Bad Bunny attempts to combat the matriarchy by proving that all women should be respected. Always defying gender rules, Bad Bunny dresses as a woman to break down the toxic machismo that plagues the Latinx community.  

2. “Si Veo a Tu Mama” 

What can I say about this? This was one of those songs that blew me away within first listen. Even my friends who aren’t fond of Latin or Trap music gleefully listened to this track. The nostalgic Nintendo sound of the album distracts you from the heartbreaking lyrics as he talks about missing his ex-girlfriend. Even though the lyrics may be sad this song is cemented as a work of art.  

1. “Safaera”  

Like a lion, YGLQMDLG remains untamed. Changing from moment to moment, Safaera exceeds all expectations integrating 2000s hits to give the album its nostalgic feel. The song changes tempo eight times creating a seemingly perfect energetic hit. Bad Bunny blends reggaetón’s past with its present. This hit become famous with thousands of people participating in the #SafaeraChallenge.  

A huge concert crowd, all colored red by the lights
Aaron Paul

Bad Bunny pays homage to reggaetón’s past and present becoming a trailblazer in Latin trap. Within his short career, Benito has become a household name solidifying himself as a real star.   

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest

Janelle is a Mass Media Communications and International Affairs student at Florida State University. She loves binging youtube videos and can be seen watching anything from animation reviews to conspiracy theories. If you ever want to talk Film, Janelle is your gal.
Her Campus at Florida State University.