Ranking My Freshman Year FSU Dorm Purchases From Worst To Best

It’s crazy to me that I was applying for housing and stressing over what to buy just a year ago. I stayed up late watching videos and reading articles trying to figure out exactly what I would need. Now, as I’m ending my first year, there are a few purchases I wish I didn’t make (and things I wish I’d bought sooner). 

closet organizers/hooks

One of my biggest concerns for space in the dorm was the closet. I was scared of my clothes getting wrinkled or not fitting in the cramped area. Purchasing closet hooks seemed like a good idea at the time, but I’ve already taken all of them out of my closet. Many of my clothes tend to fall off of them, and it’s a struggle to pick clothes off these hooks. Honestly, they don’t even save much space, so I think you’re better off putting your clothes in drawers. 

Brita

After seeing many mixed opinions on whether Britas work, I still caved and bought one. As you can see from it being so high on the list, I do regret it. It takes forever to fill up, and I’ve never been able to taste a difference. You’re better off purchasing water bottles or gallons and carrying a reusable bottle to refill when needed. 

desk organizers

While the organizer makes my desk neater, there are so many other ways to organize supplies. I wish I’d purchased a smaller organizer, as mine takes away much of the space on my desk. Every desk at FSU also has a drawer, so you can always keep additional school supplies or essentials in there. 

bedside caddy

As a lazy college student, having this has been helpful at times. My bedside caddy keeps my vitamins, sleeping mask, journal, and books. It saves me many trips at night and is something I love having. Compared to other items on the list, it isn’t a need, but it’s a nice bonus. 

sock clips

From living in dorms for almost a year now, I can confirm the rumors are true about laundry machines eating socks. Although, I will never know how I seem to lose socks so fast without using sock clips. They help to keep all my socks together, but the only downside is these clips do make it harder for your socks to dry sometimes. 

Microwave

I’m putting a microwave in the middle of this list because, depending on your situation, you can go without it. As someone who decided to not have a meal plan, I knew it would be used. While there is one on every floor, the kitchen can get busy or messy, so I’m glad I got my own. If you get a meal plan, a microwave is something you can most likely skip over. 

sleeping mask

Even in my room back home, the one thing I need to sleep peacefully is complete darkness. Having even the smallest of light has always made it hard for me to sleep. While this isn’t a necessity, it has tremendously helped me sleep. Sometimes sharing a dorm means your roommate or suitemates might keep the light on. Having this mask helps me still get a good night’s rest despite that. 

reading pillow

I love having this pillow. It does take up more space on my bed, but it’s never bothered me. Whether I’m trying to watch a movie on my laptop or read a book, having this extra support has always been nice. 

slippers

Whether you need to take the trash out or to go downstairs to your friend’s dorm, slippers come in handy. Make sure you get slippers that aren’t white and are comfortable because, if you’re anything like me, you’ll be wearing them all the time. 

mattress topper

This is one of the best things I’ve ever purchased. While this is one of the most expensive things on this list, it’s the most necessary. It helps make that rock-hard dorm bed way more comfortable. Buying this has made it difficult to wake up for those early morning classes, as I just want to lay in my bed forever. 

I hope this helps narrow down purchases to help make the perfect college dorm. Happy shopping! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hey, my name is Laila and this is my first semester being a staff writer for Her Campus. I plan on writing things about my personal experiences, books, music, and hopefully lots more! I’m a freshman at Florida State University majoring in Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences. Besides writing for Her Campus, I am also a volunteer at TMH! In my free time, I love watching movies and TV shows, as well as listening to music. Some of my favorite shows are Pretty Little Liars, Gilmore Girls, and One Tree Hill. My favorite movies are Harry Potter, Me Before You, Instant Family, and many more. A few favorite music artists are The Neighbourhood, The Weeknd, Billy Joel, and Lana Del Ray. I also love coffee and am always hiking to just go to Frother’s Daughter. Besides that, I love spending time with my family and friends!