Life > Experiences

Random Roommate? Don’t Worry, You’ve Got This!

As college students, most of us have roommates. These people could be some of your best friends or your worst nightmares. Lucky for me, I’ve been able to somewhat choose who I’ve lived with over the past two years. During my first fall semester at Florida State, I met two of my current roommates. I met them within the first few weeks of school. The three of just mostly did everything together, from tailgating to studying at Strozier. It was obvious to me that I wanted to keep these two around the next few years, so we signed a lease for a 4 x 4 at the apartment complex known at the time as Domain. During the process of signing the lease, it became clear to me that I was going to have to have a random roommate. I get it, college is a time to expand your horizons and met new people, but having to live with someone I’ve never met or didn’t know a thing about, made me uneasy. What if it’s awkward? What if we hate each other? These were the questions that floated around in my head. We all know roommate horror stories, so I was desperate to avoid one.

Facebook became a great way for my newly signed roommates and me to find someone looking for an amazing group of girls, if I do say so myself, to live with. If you have Facebook and you go to Florida State, most likely you’re in one of those Florida State 2020 or 2021 groups, depending on the year you graduate. One night, I decided to post in the group, which was out of character for sure. I posted a picture of the three of us, left the description at the top saying were looking for a fourth roommate and hoped my new, perfect roommate would appear. A few days went by and I received a less than desired number of responses, so I messaged most girls back, probably sounding desperate. There was only one candidate who we all seemed to like so, spoiler alert, we chose her and she’s still my current roommate today. It was awkward at first, but we eventually all met up to study at Cascades Park for the first time and went from there. 

Courtesy: Brandon Griggs on Unsplash

We moved into our first apartment in fall 2018. Moving in was a good distraction in the beginning, but when things started to settle down and our families left, it was time for roommate bonding. For me, meeting new people used to be a struggle, but being in college has been very eye-opening and I’ve gotten over my fear of first impressions. Although it was uncomfortable and awkward at first, eventually my new, became one of my best friends. Currently, we still live together today in the apartment we first signed at. 

Courtesy: Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

Having to move in with someone random can be a scary thing, but it is just part of life. Most college students will live with roommates for all four years. When it comes to roommates I think it’s best to choose people who you know you get along with, and if that’s nobody for you, then don’t be afraid to post on Facebook or sign a lease with a random group of girls or guys because you get out what you put into those relationships. Living with my roommates has been rocky at times, but we’ve been able to overcome obstacles, making them my besties for life. I’ve been lucky with my random roommate experience because of my willingness to make a new friend. A situation like this will depend on you, and what you make of it, so make it count.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Isabella is a current student at Florida State University, pursuing a degree in Marketing.