Rachel and The City: 2013 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show Hits The Runway

Well, it’s that time of year again when men drool in front of their TV screens and Collegiettes across the country consistently question why we all can’t look as perfect as the Victoria’s Secret Angels. Taped on November 13, the 2013 Victoria’s Secret Fashion show has come around once again, officially premiering nationwide to the public on CBS Tuesday, December 10 at 10/9c. As for a sneak peak, the internet has been buzzing with pictures, information, and details on the models, outfits, and guest performers (you know, what you’ve all been waiting for) and I’m here to tell you all about it. 

The fashion motherland, New York City, hosts the annual Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show once again at the famous Lexington Avenue Armory. Featuring artists such as Katy Perry, Rihanna, Maroon 5, Kanye West, and the Spice Girls in previous years, this year’s guest performers include Taylor Swift (not shocking), Fall Out Boy (very shocking), Neon Jungle (no, not Neon Trees), and A Great Big World (irrelevant). Noticing Victoria’s Secret’s diverse range of performers this year, we can only assume the upcoming show has a fresh, new theme we haven’t seen before (or so we hope).

Each year, one Angel is selected to wear a “Fantasy Bra,” a bejeweled bra worth millions of dollars that’s available to the public during the holiday season, but typically has zero buyers. The only buyer in history has purchased the $10 million 2004 “Heavenly ‘70’ Fantasy Bra,” worn by Tyra Banks. This year, lucky Angel Candice Swanepoel has been chosen to wear this year’s magnificent $10 million “Royal Fantasy Bra.” Last year, Angel Alessandra Ambrosio wore the “Floral Fantasy Bra,” worth a mere $2.5 million compared to this year’s $10 million. 

According to USA Today, this year’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show consists of 67 different outfits, 28 pairs of wings, and 40 models. The show has been separated into six segments: British Invasion, Birds of Paradise, Shipwrecked, Pink Network, Parisian Nights, and Snow Angels.

Even though we watch the fashion show from our televisions, it would be nice to see a live, unedited version of the show. After all, aren’t fashion shows supposed to be about the energy and vibes of the models and audience in that exact moment? It would only be fair to share that moment with us viewers at home since we’re unable to make it to the show (obviously we had to decline the invitation, we have school). However, the producers do make up for our misfortune with exclusive interviews from the Angels and behind-the-scene looks, fulfilling our guilty pleasure of learning what it’s like in a day of the life of some of the most perfect-looking people on the planet.

For any of you up and coming designers/fashionistas who have something to show the world (specifically your fellow Seminoles), I urge you to create a fashion show of your own in Tallahassee. It’s a great way to showcase your items and eventually make a name for yourself; the stepping stone to possibly creating a bigger, better version of the “Sexiest Show on Earth” one day. But for now, stay tuned for the millions of tweets, Facebook statuses, and Instagram pictures of how “perfect Adriana Lima is” or how “hot Karlie Kloss looks” or how much “my friends and I would kill for their bodies.” And remember Collegiettes, you’re perfect the way you are despite what you may think after watching the show- it’s a model’s job to look flawless and yours to embrace your flaws. Enjoy the show!

Editor-in-Chief, Her Campus FSU // Follow me @rachelepstein_
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!