A Prominent FSU Attorney Arrested For Soliciting with a Minor

Recently, officials began “Operations Cupid’s Arrow,” a weeklong child predator investigation that stretched from Lake City to Tallahassee, Florida. The child predator investigation caught men who planned to meet up with underage girls for some type of sexual act. During this investigation law enforcement officers posed as teenage girls or a parent of a teenage girl, catching these men in the act. “Operation Cupid’s Arrow,” managed to catch twelve men who were willing to engage in sexual conduct with underage girls. Among these men was one of Florida State University’s prominent attorneys, Dayton Cramer. Among Cramer, were other men from different backgrounds ranging from blue-collar workers to state-government workers.

Dayton Cramer, the former associate general counsel for Florida State University, resigned after his arrest on Tuesday. The former deputy general was arrested and charged with attempted enticement of a minor. He responded to ads posted by the alleged “step-mother” of a 13-year-old girl, which was really an undercover official from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Cramer sent sexually explicit responses to fake ads posted by who he thought was the stepmother of said 13-year-old girl for a Valentine’s Day meet up. During the investigation, Cramer sent many explicit things to the stepmother, detailing his plans for a Valentine’s Day rendezvous between him and the alleged 13-year-old girl. After the undercover agent told Cramer the alleged age of the girl, he continued to communicate – even sending a picture of his genitalia. During the time, Cramer communicated with the undercover agent he mentioned that he is a married lawyer. 

Courtesy LinkedIn

FSU spokesman Dennis Schnittker said Cramer resigned prior to the university firing him. Cramer was earning more than $161,575 a year at his job, which he started in 2000. He resigned in a handwritten note that did not mention his arrest.

Cramer has hired Tim Jansen to represent him. Jansen said his client was released from custody Wednesday after a preliminary federal hearing.  He will be held on house arrest and GPS monitoring as a condition of his release.

Cramer’s 44-year legal career includes time as the chief legal counsel for the United States Military Academy in West Point, New York and as a senior law clerk to Judge Charles R. Richey, who presided over a variety of Watergate cases in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. A retired U.S. Army colonel, Cramer “served three tours in the Pentagon,” according to his LinkedIn page.

FSU President John Thrasher released a statement to Wednesday afternoon. President Thrasher said in a statement, “He expects university employees to conduct themselves with high moral, ethical and professional standards. These allegations against our former deputy general counsel are shocking and appalling. Upon learning of the arrest of Michael Cramer, the university immediately placed him on administrative leave. Later in the day, when we received the criminal complaint, we initiated steps toward terminating his employment. However, he resigned before being terminated. We are cooperating fully with law enforcement.”

Her Campus at Florida State University.