Style > Fashion

Thrifting in Tallahassee: An Interview With The Other Side Vintage

With the emergence of fast fashion in the early 2000s, it makes complete sense as to why thrifting is a trend that has become more mainstream in today’s society. Thrifting is an activity that involves searching for and finding one-of-a-kind gently used pieces that are often for a fraction of the original cost. One of the main benefits of thrifting, besides affordability, is that it is a much more sustainable option for shoppers because it involves the recycling of previously owned items that may have otherwise ended up in a landfill. 

One of my favorite places in Tallahassee to go thrifting at is The Other Side Vintage. To shop in this store is a truly remarkable experience. To me, what makes thrifting at this place so magical is how visually captivating the store is. For instance, from the instant that you walk inside, it is easy to get lost in the wide assortment of items they offer. 

With that being said, I am extremely grateful that I had the opportunity of interviewing the masterminds behind @theothersidevintage on Instagram so that I can share some of their tips to thrifting and get a better understanding of their passion for thrifting!

Her Campus (HC): How long have you been thrifting? What inspired you to open a thrift store?

The Other Side Vintage (TOSV): We have been buying and reselling vintage items for 22 years! We love finding unique pieces from back in the day because they are typically higher quality and last longer than newer items. We also like the idea of being able to recycle items instead of buying new ones. 

HC: Since you resell gently used items, can you please explain your process for how you choose items for the store? Do you generally look for items that match certain trends or items that are more eclectic?

TOSV: We typically choose items that are vintage or antique but find retro newer styles sometimes as well. The trends are always changing, but you can usually find something from the past that is similar in style to what is popular now.

HC: With having such a wide selection of merchandise, I was wondering, what are some of your current favorite items to thrift?

TOSV: Our current favorite items to thrift are vibrant windbreakers, mid-century furniture and vintage Florida A & M University (FAMU)/Florida State University (FSU) gear!

HC: Do you have any advice for readers that want to get into thrifting? 

TOSV: Thrifting is like a treasure hunt. You can go into a thrift store or vintage store like ours and browse so many different styles of clothing and collectible furniture that just don’t get made anymore. Also, the prices are comparable to items you would buy new that may fall apart in a year or fade within a few washes and go into a landfill later.

I have developed this notion that thrifting is like a box of chocolates, because you never really know what you’re going to get. The uncertainty and rarity of finding items only add to the charm of the thrifting experience. Whether you adopt thrifting because you want to shop sustainably or because you want to collect something that is the bee’s knees, I highly recommend checking out The Other Side Vintage!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi! I am currently a senior majoring in Media & Communication Studies and minoring in Psychology! I love practicing yoga on the beach, cuddling with my cat Bean, and collecting crystals <3