Life > Experiences

Under the Big Top of FSU’s Halloween Circus With Saralynn Premer

With the arrival of fall comes Florida State University’s (FSU) Flying High Circus Halloween series. This nostalgic, must-see event is often thought of in tandem with Family weekend and the Home Show series. But what sets the Halloween show apart? I asked balancing act Saralynn Premer for an inside look at the show and her hand-balancing act this year.

Her Campus (HC): How is this year’s Halloween series different from previous ones (or other shows during the semester)?

Saralynn Premer (SP): Halloween shows are always such an exciting time for the circus performers, as we get to explore a different side of performance. During Halloween shows, we are able to really lean into the creative side of our characters and performance. After the COVID-19 pandemic, our shows took a hard hit, as we were unable to perform for nearly two years, but we are back and better than ever. No two circus shows are ever the same, with new cast members, acts, tricks and spectacles. Every experience under the big top is as unique as the people that put it on.

HC: What does the show look like behind the scenes? While people are filing into the tent, what’s going on in terms of makeup, hair and last-minute rehearsals?

SP: It’s pretty much all hands on deck backstage to make sure everyone gets their hair and makeup done in time for the show. Luckily, we have a few hours to get ready before the gates open and guests start to arrive. But believe me, many of us are still doing last-minute touches on hair, makeup and costumes right up until the show starts. It’s tough to rehearse at all last minute since all our equipment is out in the tent where the audience is! There’s a sort of tradition we have right as we’re about to go on stage – we all gather at the entrance to the hut and do the FSU war chant before we file out. If you listen closely, you can probably hear it from the tent, we aren’t exactly a soft-spoken group.

HC: When do you start preparing for Halloween, and what’s the creation process?

SP: It’s hard to put an exact date on the beginning of preparation, as all the performers are returning members and have been working on these acts for months. The specific act building for shows begins almost immediately after our cast list is released in September. We begin to consider character styles and trick order as it fits the characters that are assigned to us. We receive costumes and music around early October, which is incredibly helpful with building a character and an act. The process of the show goes way beyond just our acts – the FSU Flying High Circus is a club, meaning that everything we do is voluntary, and we do it around our schoolwork. Everything that’s done for shows is done by the cast and crew of the Circus. The people performing on stage under the lights are the very same people directing you to your seats or serving you popcorn at the concession stand.

HC: What’s your act in the circus this semester, and what’s something people may not know or see at first glance?

SP: My acts in the circus this semester are balancing and teeterboard, but I’m only doing balancing in Halloween shows. Something people may not know about balancing at first glance is how much my partners and I talk during performances. It may look like we’re totally calm, but a major part of being on a balancing team, especially as a base, is communicating with your partners. If something is even a touch too far forward or backward, the whole trick could fail. We’re very good at making sure we’re all on the same page so that if something were to go wrong, no one is caught off guard, and everyone stays safe.

HC: What are you feeling when you are about to go on, and during? Are you excited to perform or nervous, and why do you think that is?

SP: When we’re about to go on, I think nervousness and excitement go hand in hand. There’s nothing like being able to showcase something that you’ve worked so hard on for so long. But with that excitement comes the fear of not doing your absolute best for your audience. Once I’m on stage, I usually get a sort of tunnel vision where nothing else matters but me, my partners and making sure we stay tuned in with each other. Audience response is key to how we do on stage. It’s lovely to realize that the audience is enjoying what we’re showing them and that they’re having an amazing time. It’s such a rewarding feeling.

HC: What’s your favorite and most challenging part of the Halloween show, and why?

SP: Funny enough, my favorite part of Halloween shows is also my most challenging part, which would be the characters I play. Halloween shows are much more involved in the hair and makeup department than our Home Show series. We’re allowed more creative freedom with our styles and look for this show series. I’m often doing hair and makeup for many other cast members, which can get stressful, but the opportunity to see these characters and acts come to life and know you had a hand in that is the most rewarding feeling. It’s a whirlwind of activity that gets pretty hectic at times, but when you’re in that environment with all your best friends, it’s less stressful and more exciting. The cast of the FSU Flying High Circus is the most welcoming, accepting and talented group of people I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of. The word “cast” doesn’t quite cut it, family is much more accurate.

For the little bit of time you’re sitting behind those spotlights under the big top, it’s almost as if you’re a part of that family. The Halloween show premiered Oct. 21 at 7 p.m. Seats are free for students and are first come, first serve!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Emie is a third year at Florida State majoring in psychology, with a minor and special interest in women's studies. She aims to counsel, speak, and write about mental health associated with body image, disordered eating, self-confidence, sexual health, and exercise. She aspires to later obtain her PhD and work as a professor of psychology or women’s studies. In her spare time, she loves to lift weights, read, and spend time with friends and family.