Career

The Pre-Law Girl You Need to Know: Interview With Philanthropy Chair Vanessa Murat

In her free time, Vanessa often finds herself starting new crime TV shows and reading. As a sophomore at Florida State University (FSU), she’s very involved on campus but still makes time to do two of her favorite hobbies: spending time with friends and baking. She currently studies International Affairs, one day hoping to work as an International Civil Rights lawyer, and eventually become a Diplomat. Vanessa Murat joined me earlier this week for a Q&A about her philanthropy chair position for Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity! 

Her Campus (HC): What is Phi Alpha Delta?

Vanessa Murat (VM): Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) is the largest pre-law co-ed fraternity in the world. FSU’s chapter alone has over 400 members. The main goal is resource access for pre-law students regarding law school from start to finish. We learn about the process of getting into law school, some ways to aid your application along with some experiences that someone might have going through law school and the whole process might have. 

HC: What is your position for Phi Alpha Delta? 

VM: I am one of the two philanthropy chairs. Our jobs are mostly to research potential philanthropy events that PAD can host for nonprofit organizations. I plan fundraising events for our club, where this year our philanthropy surrounds nonprofits specializing in free legal aid. In the past, philanthropy for PAD has been more generalized such as participating in Dance Marathon or Relay For Life. 

HC: How has your experience in PAD been so far? 

VM: I was initiated last spring, and it’s been an overall good experience! I’ve met so many sweet people in the club, and there are so many great people who just joined this year. Because we have so many members, we’ve been able to make our own community based on the shared things we all want to do in the future. People recommend each other for internships or even other events that are taking place on campus all the time. 

HC: How has PAD introduced you to resources for your future career?

VM: One of our leadership board members is a legal liaison specializing in professional development. By working with them, you are able to request a city and then be connected with those professional jobs. For example, they help me research for jobs along with internships in my hometown and I’ve also found opportunities through them to do work in Tallahassee. We’ve had judges as well as other legal professionals come to speak to us about their experiences in the legal field. Also, we have multiple LSAT workshops, and being a member of PAD allows you to receive discounts on resources that help to prepare for the LSAT exam. 

HC: What are some of the philanthropy events you had this year? 

VM: So far we’ve been raising money for the Tallahassee Bail Project and the Legal Aid Foundation. The Legal Aid Foundation focuses on raising money in addition to getting volunteers to help those that are lower income or minorities that cannot afford the costs of an attorney. Volunteers would interview prospective candidates, then we all raise money to help alleviate the costs of a lawyer or even raise money for food resources or housing costs. The Tallahassee Bail Project is more specialized, and volunteers choose specific cases to aid those candidates. In support of both, we sold Halloween candy grams to raise more money, along with post bingo cards on social media to spread awareness and raise funds. 

HC: As a general member of PAD, what other events do members partake in? 

VM: Apart from the campus-sponsored professional events, we also have a prelaw conference for members chosen through a lottery, where we travel to Washington, D.C., to meet around 40 law schools for information. On our social calendar, we had painted with puppies on Landis this year, hike days, Friendsgiving and community service opportunities. We also like to have events where our members can mingle with each other, which includes Intermural sports. We do co-ed basketball, volleyball, flag football and dodgeball plus for the first time, we had a member participate in tennis.  

HC: What are some of the things PAD members have done this year? 

VM: During the conference in D.C., FSU’s Phi Alpha Delta was recognized by winning a few awards. We won third place for the recruitment process PAD did during the fall and won for having the most members initiated this fall. We were first place in community service events; part of this was a jog-athon we had during veterans day last year. We were in second place for outstanding chapter and our secretary last year won the first place award for her position.  

HC: In your opinion, why should someone join Phi Alpha Delta? 

VM: If you are interested in the Pre-law track, PAD provides you with so many resources that are important and worth it to have. While involved, you will learn how to network and socialize. You will also learn from fellow members in PAD and have access to a Groupme with all alum members from Phi Alpha Delta FSU, where you can interact with them and receive information. You can join any time during the year, and we have an initiation for new members. Even if you join after initiation, you can get initiated the following spring or fall.  

HC: Are there any lessons that being a Philanthropy Chair for PAD has taught you that have helped with your involvement with other clubs? 

VM: PAD’s networking workshops taught me how to informally and formally socialize with other people. Most people in the fraternity want to end up in government or business, so I was able to develop more interpersonal communication skills that helped me talk to other people in general. Those skills helped me talk to people in my classes or in Surge, the political party, here at FSU that I am also involved with.

HC: Is there any last advice you would give to anyone interested in joining any clubs at FSU?

VM: Don’t hesitate to join a club!  Don’t be afraid to try a new club because you can always leave if it is not for you. Even if you’re a little interested, do it! I have a friend who doesn’t know if she even wants to be a lawyer yet, and she is still involved with PAD. The club is helping her find prospective fields of law and what type of lawyer she would be if that is something she wants to do. Go to as many information sessions as you can. Information sessions are key because you can see for yourself if it’s something you are interested in joining.

Vanessa Murat is always open to questions about Phi Alpha Delta, law and even clubs at FSU! Follow the Phi Alpha Delta Instagram for updates on events and to keep up with their social calendar! If you take anything from this profile piece, I hope it’s to try out something new. Just keeping an open mind could be one of the best decisions you make for yourself!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Makenna is from Miami, Florida, and is currently studying Political Science. She enjoys drinking coffee and finding new coffee shops. She loves music, movies, makeup, reading, and is always open for movie recommendations!