girl standing in front of sunset at beach with illustration.
Alessandra Bonavita; illustration by Kate Fernandez
Career

Starting and Running a Business: Alessandra Bonavita

Starting and keeping up a small business is no easy feat. It takes hard work and persistence as a student growing both your business and taking care of all things schoolwork. Meet Alessandra Bonavita: the New York-born and Naples-raised small business owner who just started her freshman year at Florida State University (FSU). If you meet Alessandra, her free spirit and hard work are contagious. From balancing schoolwork, working at Trader Joe’s over the weekends, keeping up a small business and having fun while doing it all, you can truly say she’s on the right path to success.

Her Campus (HC): Tell us a little bit about your small business.

Alessandra Bonavita (AB): My business is called Bean Jewels and I make unique beaded jewelry ranging from earrings to necklaces to rings. I also love to make wire jewelry.

HC: When did you start your small business?

AB: I started my small business in December 2020 during my winter break as a senior in high school.

HC: How did you start up Bean Jewels?

AB: I saw the jewelry-making trend on TikTok and YouTube, so I asked my mom for supplies as a Christmas gift so I could make some jewelry for my own use. With time I realized I had way too many supplies, so I began making some accessories for my friends as gifts. Soon I saw some people really started to like what I made for them, so I figured I could take my hobby and start a small business doing what I love.

HC: How did you learn to make jewelry?

AB: I slowly taught myself little by little using pictures and Pinterest. I also watched some YouTube tutorials. Seeing inspiration from creators helped me develop the idea of possibly learning to make jewelry on my own. Of course, my mom was a huge factor in my jewelry-making journey because she started me off on supplies, and now she fully supports my business. My whole business started on the idea that instead of buying jewelry, it would be easier to teach myself how to make my own jewelry and make exactly what I want to wear.

HC: Did you get any tips from anyone about starting a business on your own?

AB: No one really gave me any tips, I mostly just figured it out by myself. I just did some research on my own, but for the most part, it was just me jumping into it. Honestly, I started doing this for fun and to sell to friends; nothing large-scale. I made an Instagram and Venmo for Bean Jewels and handled my business through there. Now I just post pictures of the jewelry I make for my customers to see.

HC: Do you have any tips for those selling on just social media?

AB: The reason why I started on social media and not Etsy was that through Etsy you are required to set up a PayPal to handle finances, but each of the platforms takes a percentage of the commission you make. I just did not see myself using them because I started so small. I figured Instagram and Venmo were the easiest way to handle my business sales and advertising. In the past, I have received offers to sell my jewelry in small stores or boutiques, but I decided not to. I’m already selling my jewelry at affordable prices, and I started this as something fun I can do on the side. So, my tip would be to find what works best for you and use it. Sometimes it’s better to start small and work your way up to making a website or an Etsy to branch out.

HC: How do you feel about continuing your business in college at FSU, and do you have any tips for those who want to start a business in college?

AB: In high school, I did have more time to plan and get more orders out. A tip I have is in college, sell what you want to sell. It’s so much easier to grow your business and find people who want to buy your products. Because I just started college, I have not advertised as much. I’ve been focusing on school and settling in this semester which is important with this transition of moving away and graduating high school. Next semester I plan on advertising and selling more at FSU.

HC: How do you balance being a STEM major and owning a business? How do you also add having a job to the equation?

AB: Being organized and having a set schedule is key. Having time set aside for school and the business is important to balance the two. I work on weekends and during the week I focus on not only schoolwork but also business-related tasks. Time management is the best way to balance it all.

HC: Do you plan to continue business after college?

AB: I definitely do! I just want to put more work into it in college. My goal is to put my business out there at FSU.

HC: Do you plan on adding more products besides jewelry?

AB: I have been thinking about it. I love embroidering, so I’ve been trying to think of ways to implement it into my store. I’d love to sell socks, shoes or backpacks/bags with embroidery. I’m a pretty crafty person so I know that it will develop on its own with time.

HC: What is your goal for this business in the future after this first semester?

AB: My goal is to honestly have fun with my business and create new things that people may find unique. FSU hosts Market Wednesdays where small businesses can come, display and sell their products. I hope I can participate in the future! I can’t wait to see the future of Bean Jewels!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

¡Hola! I'm Kate, an aspiring illustrator and designer and a senior at FSU (go 'noles) studying Advertising and Studio Art. I was born and raised in sunny Miami and am a proud Latina. In my free time, you can find me doodling and designing while listening to oldies. I'm an avid Vogue Magazine reader, fervent designer, and keen stylist. I am so excited to share my HC journey! Reach out to me on Instagram @kate_fernandezz ☻