I\'m So Weavy Creator Sophie
I\'m So Weavy Creator Sophie
Photo by Sophie Solarana
Career > Work

Sophie Solarana: Student and Entrepreneur

Small businesses encountered a boom during quarantine due to people’s dedication to their hobbies. Sophie Solarana took her passion for design and combined it with her creative outlook to create her business I’m So Weavyy. Sophie is an Information Communication and Technology major at Florida State University. Not only does she work for Rebuild Media, but through Wolf Hospitality, Sophie also happens to run one of FSU’s most beloved clubs’ Instagram: @thewarehouseoncollege.

I met Sophie in high school and being able to witness her hard work and dedication is truly an honor. With her expected graduation date being Spring 2023, Sophie keeps her hands busy with school, work and being her own self-taught boss. Keep reading to learn how Sophie manages it all!

Her Campus (HC): How did you first get the idea to create your own small business? How did you come up with the idea to make it around clothes?

Sophie Solarana (SS): In high school, right around the time I got into FSU, I started making game-day clothing with my Cricut machine and I would sell it. Then I got kind of sick of having just clothing made with a Cricut because I felt like it wasn’t very nice, and it would get gross after the first wash. So, then I was like, “You know what, I’m going to save up.” Eventually, I bought my embroidery machine because I saw it on TikTok. I saw this girl that had her own embroidery business, and everything was so cute, and I told myself, “I could do that.” I like graphic design and designing clothing, and this was a good way to make stuff that’s nicer compared to the Cricut. 

HC: Why the name “I’m So Weavyy”?

SS: I remember googling ‘words that have to do with embroidery’ and the results were words like ‘stitch.’ But then I saw the word ‘weave,’ as in the thread weaving, and I was like “Wait, I kind of like that.” From there, the name I’m So Weavyy just popped into my head. I knew that was going to be the name.

HC: Your clothes are now sold in a boutique, how did that come to be?

SS: Yes, so the boutique is called Gasp Winter Park. One day on my Etsy I was going through the messages and this one girl reached out to me and asked me if I did wholesale orders because she wanted to carry my items. At first, I thought it was a scam but then I looked up her business. I looked her up too and I saw she also went to FSU, and we had mutuals, so then I noticed it wasn’t a scam. I had never done a wholesale order before, and neither did I know how to do the pricing for it, but I ended up figuring it out. I’ve also seen her post photos recently and see my stuff in the background, so they are still in stock!

HC: Where do you see your small business going? What are your goals for it?

SS: I want to keep it how it is now. Keep it on Etsy and sell an average of about 5 orders a week as I do now because when I graduate, I don’t know if I see making it my full-time career. I have so many other goals in terms of media that I want to do, so I don’t see this becoming my job, but I will keep it and continue to make new designs. The only way I’d consider making it into a bigger thing is if I were to outsource the embroidery-making. If I found a company to make the sweatshirts, yes, but I just don’t have the time for that by myself.

HC: How do you balance your schoolwork, actual work and keeping up with orders?

SS: Not waiting until the last minute! When I see that I get an Etsy order, I make it right away so that they don’t build up. I used to make them the day they had to be shipped out, so I have gotten way better at that. I now have a set schedule every day. 

Whether you are looking for comfortable sweatshirts or unique presents to give to your friends, you can count on I’m So Weavyy. You should remember the name Sophie Solarana because with her level of determination and extreme creative outlook, there is no doubt in mind that her name will become known. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

I am a Media Communication Studies major ('23) also pursuing a minor in Editing, Writing, and Media. I was born in Argentina and lived in Mexico before moving to the U.S. so culture is a big interest of mine. Social media is one of my passions and I hope to be involved professionally one day.