Career

Sitting Down With Small Business Owner Calla Michetti

As many of us can relate, during quarantine Calla Michetti decided that she needed something new to do as a cure for her boredom. So, what better thing to do than to create her own small business based on something that she loves to do? And so, her small business, Kalmar, was born. Calla decided to combine her love for business with her love for crocheting to create her very own small business. I sat down with her to hear more about how she started and what she has learned since creating her own small business.

Her Campus (HC): What is Kalmar and what inspired you to start a small business?

Calla Michetti (CM): I have been crocheting since I was in seventh grade and during quarantine, I wanted to start selling some of the things that I was making, as many other people were doing. Business has always been something I have been passionate about! I really like the exchange of money for products and interacting with customers. I started my business making bandanas specifically. I found a pattern for a bandana around May 2020, and I made one and loved it! I thought to myself, “This was easy to make, and people might want to buy it!” I started experimenting with different colors and color combinations and began making different types. I did not expect it to work, but I had this idea, made my first bandana, and listed it on Depop! I waited like two weeks, and nothing. But then, I sold one and that lit the fire basically! I went to the yarn store and bought more yarn and made even more color combinations and it started picking up which was so exciting! I started to expand to other products and other designs that I was making. From then, I created an Instagram account and started reaching out to people in my area, so I wasn’t just doing online but also local orders too.

HC: How did you come up with the name and logo?

CM: My mother is Polish, and “kalmar” in Polish means squid! Squids are my favorite animal. In fact, I think if I had to be reincarnated as an animal it would have to be the squid because they’re such fascinating creatures!

HC: How do you sell and promote your products?

CM: I started through social media, mostly Instagram, and talking about it to people. When I was in high school, I would just walk around with my crochet projects, and it was kind of like an unofficial advertisement because people would come up to me and ask me what I was making and if I could make them stuff! However, I also use Depop to sell my products. I decided to start selling it on Depop as it was very popular in early quarantine.

HC: What is your favorite product to make and why?

CM: My favorite product has to be the bandana with the scalloped edge. It was the first product I ever sold so it holds a very special place in my heart. It’s tiny, it’s cute, and it looks good on everyone!

HC: What are your hopes for this business?

CM: As of right now, that is really unclear for me! I am an entrepreneurship major at Florida State University (FSU), and I would like to start my own business one day but I’m not sure if I want to continue Kalmar when I graduate. I’m also not sure if I want to continue with crochet fashion specifically because I haven’t really expanded to other forms of fashion. Kalmar is a really good outlet for me, and the best part of making something and selling it to other people is when they wear your product and you can think, “Wow, I made that!” It brings me a lot of happiness.

HC: How do you manage to be a full-time college student and a small business owner?

CM: It has been a little hard. Orders have definitely slowed down because I haven’t been as active in designing things and putting them out on my Depop since moving to college. But I’m still trying to balance it and make room for it with my schoolwork and social life. Right now, I’m trying not to focus on the sales that I’m making because my surroundings have completely changed moving to college and I’m getting the chance to focus on creating things for myself, not just for other people.

HC: What advice do you have for anyone interested in starting their own small business?

CM: Go for it! There is nothing to lose, so just try it! It was slow for me at first but when someone buys something it is the best feeling in the world, and it will bring you so much happiness. It’ll make all the energy and time you put into it worth it! I would also say to be patient. Have patience when you’re starting because it won’t happen in an instant and be patient with customers. Especially if you’re making products. For example, with crocheting sometimes customers will be put off that it takes me a little time to make things, but you have to understand that they’re just really excited about getting your product and be real to yourself about how much time it will take.

Be sure to keep up with Kalmar on Instagram @callaby_crochet and Depop @callmemarie!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hannah Scheifele is a writer from Tampa and is an English Education major at FSU. She cares deeply about the environment and likes to read, exercise, do yoga, take pictures, and sew/crochet in her free time! Feel free to reach out to her on insta @hannah.sch_<3