Kristen Bryant-College Sweatshirt 1
Kristen Bryant-College Sweatshirt 1
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Career > Work

Shop Small! Small Business Owner Alyssa Gonzalez’s Mantra

Florida State University’s Pi Beta Phi chapter is home to a bright soul and an incredibly talented artist. Over the past year, I have gotten the chance to get close to my sorority twin and best friend, Alyssa Gonzalez. As someone who studies art, maintains her own jewelry and art business and keeps up a busy social life, Gonzalez has successfully made her way in her first year at FSU.

Her Campus (HC): Tell me about yourself! What makes Alyssa, Alyssa?

Alyssa Gonzalez (AG): Of course! I am a freshman, double majoring in studio art and advertisement. My goal is to one day become a graphic designer or a creative developer for Walt Disney. Outside of my academics, I am involved in my sorority, Pi Phi, where I hold the title of Banner Chair and dance on our very competitive Line Dance team. 

HC: What made you choose FSU? Why sorority life?

AG: I went on a college tour with my high school and fell in love with the campus. It also has one of the top 20 art programs in the country, which was obviously very important to me. As far as sorority life, I grew up an only child, so I always wanted to know what it felt like to have sisters, and that’s exactly what Pi Phi has given me. 

HC: Why art? How did your businesses come about?

AG: It has always been art, as I’ve been super crafty since I was a kid. I was in an art program throughout my time in both middle school and high school. It has always been something I was naturally better at compared to all my other subjects in school, which made it easy to want to pursue it as a career.

I first started making jewelry in high school at around 17 years old when COVID-19 first started. After it took off locally, I started an Instagram store, Alyssa’s Accessories, that continued to blow up for a few years. During my senior year of high school, I got really into digital design. Coming to college, I wanted to do something using my newfound digital design skills that other college kids would actually enjoy. After recruitment and joining a sorority, I quickly started designing sweatshirts and other merchandise. People loved my sweatshirts, so I decided to start up another Instagram store called AVG Apparel, where I now sell sweatshirts to all chapters on the FSU campus.

HC: Running your own businesses on top of school and life is no joke. How has all of it taught you time management?

AG:  For the most part I am always super busy. It was a little hard to manage my time at the beginning of the semester learning how to balance line dance and being Banner Chair and also taking a full course load. But, I’ve found that planning my day the night before and carving out specific times for my small businesses really helps me.

HC: What is the most rewarding part of it all? What’s the most difficult?

AG: The most rewarding part is getting to see everything come together. People’s reactions to the sweatshirts and jewelry and other stuff I make for them are priceless. And seeing my banners hanging up at my sorority house never gets old. The most difficult part is learning how to only take on what I can do. I tend to take on more than I can handle. Since it is such a passion, it hardly ever feels like work, and I am super thankful for that. 

Alyssa’s drive and success is so inspiring. As I said before, running not one, but two businesses is truly no joke, but she does it and she does it pretty d*mn well. It is quite evident she has pure talent as her art is debuted in banners every week at our sorority house. Art is her passion and has given her something to be proud of as she finishes out her first year here at Florida State. 

With three years and a lifetime to go, I wish you the best of luck in all of your future endeavors! Shop small! Shop AVG Apparel and Alyssa’s Accessories at these links.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

HEY YALL!!! Thanks for popping in! My name is Gaby and I'm a junior at Florida State studying Public Health on a Pre-Med track. I'm a big fan of concerts, books, late drives to sonic, and the beach. Hope you like what you read!!!☻☻☻☻