Life > Academics

Senioritis: College Through the Eyes of an FSU Senior

Her Campus recently had the opportunity to speak with Florida State University student Caitlin Shannon. As a senior, she has been able to reflect on her experiences and offer advice.

Her Campus (HC): What made you choose Florida State?

Caitlin Shannon (CS): I chose Florida State because of its amazing Psychology program. It was the best fit for what I was looking for in terms of the size of the campus and location. Once I stepped foot on campus, I knew I had made the right choice and that Florida State was where I belonged.

HC: What has been your favorite college memory?

CS: Hands down my favorite memory has been jumping into the Westcott fountain for my 21st birthday. Having all the people I have grown to love throughout my years of college celebrating me was such an emotional and memorable experience. It is definitely a tradition every student needs to take part in!

HC: College can be a challenging time for many students. What is something you struggled with and overcame during undergrad?

CS: I have struggled a lot with missing home during college. I’ve prioritized staying close with my family with FaceTime and visiting whenever I can. When I start to feel homesick, I remind myself that I am here to become a better person. It helps to know that I am making my family proud by furthering my education while learning to grow on my own!

HC: Getting involved on campus is super important. Can you describe any extracurriculars you are involved in to make campus feel more like home?

CS: This will be my second year involved in Psi Chi, the Psychology Honor Society. Last year I served as a mentor for lower-classmen and helped them with career advice, how to manage their classes, and general questions they had about FSU or being a Psychology major. This year the society voted for me to be the Social Events Coordinator and I am thrilled to be even more involved within the organization.

HC: What is your biggest piece of advice for college freshmen?

CS: My biggest piece of advice is to say YES. Yes to any clubs, invitations to organizations, extracurricular activities, social events, etc. Getting involved on campus is the best way to network and meet new friends that will help make your time at FSU the best it can possibly be. You are capable of so much, so start saying YES.

HC: What is your all-time favorite thing about being a Florida State Seminole?

CS: My favorite thing about FSU has to be the school spirit that fills the campus every day. No matter what time or where you are on campus, you can always spot someone wearing FSU gear. I especially love game days and tailgating because the atmosphere is so exhilarating. I love that everyone is able to come together as one and show our support for the best school ever!

It was amazing to be able to sit down with Caitlin Shannon and reflect on her time here at Florida State. Always remember, college is what you make of it. Try new things, put yourself out there and don’t take yourself too seriously. Go Noles!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

A typical FSU student studying Psychology. Lover of matcha, crystals, sunflowers, books, and Phoebe Bridgers. <3