Spring semester has started here at Florida State and many of our on-campus organizations are gearing up to serve their community. A major part of being in a sorority on campus is serving with your chapter’s philanthropic partner. I had the amazing opportunity to sit down with Gamma Phi Beta’s Madison Jones to talk about their philanthropy and her role within the chapter! 

HerCampus (HC): Let’s start with you telling me a little bit about yourself. 

Madison Jones (MJ): My name is Madison Jones, and I am a junior double-majoring in psychology and criminology, I am from Panama City Beach, Florida. Aside from school, I spend the majority of my time organizing and participating in events with my sorority. I am a member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority, and my newest endeavor has led me to dive head-first into philanthropic work and working hands-on with our philanthropic partner Girls On the Run!

HC: Can you tell me more about Girls On the Run?

MJ: Girls on the Run is a national non-profit organization that focuses on empowering young, school-aged girls. Specifically, Girls On the Run aims to build healthy physical habits through running, but this is not their only mission. Girls On the Run also strives to strengthen girls’ mental and emotional health by teaching them what it means to be a strong girl and how to navigate the world at this crucial and vulnerable age. Girls On the Run “envisions a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams,” and through this program, they can achieve that.

HC: That sounds like an amazing organization! You mentioned working hands-on with the organization, what is your role? 

MJ: I get the privilege of serving as Gamma Phi Beta’s Girls On the Run Chair this year! Simply put, my job is to serve as the liaison between our chapter and the local Girls On the Run organization. We work with Girls On the Run Panhandle to build connections between our chapter women and the young girls in the program. We also work with Girls On the Run to organize philanthropic events to raise money for the initiative. Through our partnership with Girls On the Run, Gamma Phi Beta aims to help empower these young women, serve as their mentors and role models, and, ultimately, build strong girls.

HC: You sound really passionate about this organization; can you tell me what Girls on the Run means to you? 

MJ: Girls On the Run has a special place in my heart. When I was 10 years old, I got the opportunity to participate in Girls On the Run at my elementary school. Once a week after school, I and the other girls in the program would meet up with our teachers who served as our mentors. There, we would have a short lesson, discussing topics like healthy habits, positive thinking, or female empowerment, and then we would run and for an entire semester we would run and train for the upcoming 5K. 

At 10 years old, running a 5K seemed nearly impossible. I was not a runner, and the idea of running a multi-mile race terrified me, but whenever I was feeling doubtful, my teachers and my teammates were there to remind me that I was capable of far more than I imagined. A few weeks later, I completed my first 5K ever, and I did it with my teachers and my friends by my side. Throughout the program, I and the other girls had necklaces where we would collect beads every time we completed a mile, and by the end, my necklace was full. Seeing that served as a physical reminder of my capability and my strength.

Looking back on it though, I realize that Girls On the Run was not just about the running. It was also about learning to love yourself and learning what it truly means to be a girl. In the end, it is really hard to be a woman in this world, but Girls On the Run made it easier, and if we can make it better for other girls out there, then why wouldn’t we do that? Girls On the Run left a lasting impact on me, and now, ten years later, I hope to return the favor and give back to the program that has given so much to me.

HC: I love that you have such a personal relationship with the organization! I think it really shows the impact that Girls On The Run is making. Are there any events coming up that give people a chance to get involved?

MJ: On Feb 26th, Gamma Phi Beta will be hosting our annual philanthropy event “Moonball!” At the event, various sororities, fraternities, and other campus organizations will be entering teams to play in a volleyball tournament. All proceeds will be going to Girls On the Run, and the winner of the volleyball tournament will also receive a check to put toward their philanthropy!

Moonball is going to be held in the Tully Gymnasium at 11 a.m., and tickets can be purchased through the link for $5.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram,Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Peyton is a senior double majoring in Communications and Editing, Writing, Media. She is a member of the Majorette Line with the Marching Chiefs and she hopes to one day be a sports reporter.