Girl in front of brick wall in white crop top
Photo by Taylor Rebecca Photography

New Artist on the Block: Drew Now

From being on America’s Got Talent to releasing her first EP at just 16 years old, Drew Now has stepped into the world of music to find success. Drew Now is an up-and-coming musician, writing and singing catchy pop tunes that anyone would fall in love with. Drew not only has incredible vocals, but also a natural talent to create music that’s meaningful. Currently, with seven singles out, the pop singer is on her way to cementing her name in the music scene. Get to know the pop icon and all about her work!

Her Campus (HC): What is your creative process like when you begin to write a song? I’d love to know how you put your ideas into lyrics and what kind of environment you like to be in to get this songwriting process going!

Drew Now (DN): There are a million ways my songs start. I can be in a coffee shop and hear someone say something that hits me like a ton of bricks or be in the middle of a good cry and a melody will form in my brain. From there I’ll either sit with a wildly talented producer who still records in his parents’ basement or a studio with plaques on the wall and come up with something from those simple ideas that makes me feel something. 

HC: What keeps you passionate about this art?

DN: I love the pursuit and the effort and the endless song ideas that are just drifting in this world. It’s exciting and frustrating but I love it cause every day is different. 

HC: What would you say are your biggest inspirations for writing music?

DN: Life inspires my songs. Lame answer, I know but it’s the easiest way to explain the simplicity of it. Some songs just need to be written. I feel like there is always a better way to say, “I love you”, “I’m sorry” or “this is hard to talk about” and I’m constantly in the pursuit of finding it.

HC: How would you describe the kind of music you make?

DN: My music is constantly evolving. I used to worry about staying in my “lane”. But my lane, musically, kept changing because I kept changing. You can trust that the music coming from me is my honest truth.

HC: Who is your ideal artist to collaborate with on a song?

DN: A collaboration with JP Sax or Daniel Caesar would be the ultimate moment for me.

HC: Do you have any other impressive talents outside of music?

DN: I’m not going to lie, I’m kind of a great cook. I love food and I love hosting dinner parties. Bringing people together, blowing their minds with new flavors and combinations, it’s amazing the community you can grow over a good plate of spaghetti.

HC: What are some of your favorite songs right now?

DN: My favorite songs right now. Okay wow. Let’s dive into that. If I want to cry, I listen to “Papa” by Scott Helmun. “Wish I Missed My Ex” by Mahalia, is just a great song that seriously is a favorite, and lastly, “Montana” by Daya.

HC: Do you have anything to tell us about upcoming songs or albums? 

DN: I will be releasing a song in October called “Type.” I wrote it with friends, in a cabin far from civilization about my boyfriend, Ryan who is a Type 1 diabetic. There are so many things I did not know about diabetes, the daily struggle, the worries and insecurities that come with it. So many people suffer from this, and I think it’s not talked about enough. I think “Type” will resonate and I’m excited to shine light on a tough subject. 

Drew Now’s upcoming single, “Type”, was released on Oct. 28. You can check her out on her website and Instagram to keep up with new music and projects!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Emily and I'm an Editing, Writing, and Media major at FSU. When I'm not in class, you can find me at a coffee shop on my 3rd cup of coffee. I also love reading, dancing, and anything related to music!