Career > Her20s

Kori Houston: FSU’s Modern-Day Renaissance Woman

If a person could embody a question, I think Kori Houston would personify a simple one: “How do you manage it all?” This question bounced around in my mind as the fourth-year psychology major, double minoring in African American Studies and Criminology, described to me her involvement. Houston, the secretary of the Black Student Union, vice president of membership for Garnet and Gold Key Honorary Society, Hair Stylist, executive assistant for the director of the Center for Academic Retention and Enhancement (CARE), Spring 2022 initiate of the Glamorous Zeta Omicron chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. and a bottle girl, has well-earned the title of the “Modern Day Renassaince Woman.” And I was given the privilege of sharing her story…

Looking back to high school, the Jacksonville native describes herself as “extremely involved.” Her most potentially life-altering activity was her involvement in her school’s JROTC program, which almost led her to join the Marine Corps (if not admitted into FSU). Houston, however, was accepted into FSU and is grateful not to have enlisted. Being a first-generation college student, FSU not only opened doors that the Marines could not, but it also allowed her to pursue her passions in a more hands-on and impactful way.

Her other involvement, which impacts her work today, included participating in the Black Lives Matter protests of 2020. Receiving full support from her family, she exemplified courage as she protested. Coming from a long line of activists, she looked to those in her family for inspiration and strength to keep tunnel vision. No matter how dangerous the protests got, she knew this was bigger than her and kept sight of her goal. This goal for racial justice stuck with her throughout her college experience, as she navigated the microaggressions and blatant ignorance perpetuated by faculty and students here on campus. She sought asylum from the predominantly white spaces she occupied in the Black organizations she was able to join, which included SISTUHS Inc., Alliance For Black Women, Black Women In Medicine, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. and the Black Student Union (BSU).

Kori refers to the BSU as her “family” and “home.” The organization was introduced to her by Wendyvette Edwards, the President of the BSU at the time (2019-2020). Instantly falling in love, Kori immediately sought a position on their executive board. However, with a pandemic lurking in the anticipated new year, her chances at membership became hindered. And while a virtual BSU occurred, a persistent Houston waited for the applications to reopen. Winning the position of Membership Chair (in her junior year), she now had more than a foot in the door.

This was just the start of the exponential growth Kori would experience and the opportunities that would arise for her while being a member of this organization. Currently, in her senior year, she has earned the Secretary position. And though the wish to have joined sooner crosses her mind, Houston, as the Secretary, prides herself on being able to be a part of the greater being that is the BSU.

To represent the Black student body, to create the spaces to have meaningful conversations regarding the culture on campus, to provide a sense of community and to make those who feel ignored feel seen is a fraction of what Houston wanted and was able to do for the Black community at FSU. This is not only the result of her hard work but it is also aided by the support system that she has created. This includes her family, the BSU’s e-board, her partner and her sisters in Alpha Kappa Alpha. Houston credits her sorority for the “beautiful sisterhood experience” with which she has been met. She specifically names her best friend and line sister, Sophonie Desvaristes, who goes beyond being a support system and inspired Houston to be more involved in the BSU.

Thanks to that inspiration and support along with her three planners and a remarkable desire to succeed, that answers the question: “How do you manage it all?”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Kyla is a second year, Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University. She is also a first time Staff Writer for Her Campus. Kyla is a proud Blarab (Black-Arab) who enjoys all things Food, Fragrance, Astrology/Spirituality, Hello Kitty, Music, Nature, and Pink. She also takes interest in issues pertaining to race, sexuality, gender, and the environment. However, when she's not voicing her opinions or writing, you can find the Taurus woman on PerfumeTikTok looking for another bottle to add to her wishlist!