Life > Experiences

Eva Killings: The True Meaning of Giving and Receiving Love

Known for her phrase, “I love you, baby!”, Eva Killings is a beloved and widely known staff member of Florida State University. Both current and past students express their love for her due to the immense generosity and positivity she displays when working on campus. She has worked under FSU for many years, and even with the thousands of students attending, she treats each one as her own. I had the pleasure of speaking with Eva about her heartwarming experiences and impact on FSU.

Her Campus (HC): What is your job at Florida State University?

Eva Killings (EK): I’m the ambassador for Seminole Dining.

HC: How long have you been working for FSU?

EK: I’ve been working on campus for 47 years.

HC: What would you say that experience, working for FSU for so long and saying 47 years, has been like?

EK: I love it. I love being here every day. I look forward to seeing all the students and the faculty every day.

HC: You are widely known as FSU’s “unofficial ambassador of love and smiles.” What does that title mean to you?

EK: I just love [the] students. I love my babies. Making sure [they are] happy every day [is] my goal.

HC: How do you use your job to show care for students, especially those who are going through difficult times?

EK: I walk up to them if I see [they look sad]. I give them love and say, “Hi, baby! Is everything ok?” If it’s not, I try to comfort them and tell them, “You can talk to me.” I say “I love you.” If you need something, that’s what I’m here for. Even if you need a few dollars. I’m here. I make sure you’re well taken care of.

HC: What goals do you strive to achieve when you’re working on campus?

EK: To help students in any way I can. Even if they don’t have a meal plan or money to get food, I always make sure they [are] able to eat. Even if I have to pay, I pay [so] students [can] eat.

HC: What would you say a normal day working on campus is like for you?

EK: Every day is a great day for me as long as I’m here at Florida State. As long as I make one student happy, it is a [fulfilling] day for me.

HC: How do you maintain the positivity and optimism you exhibit every day on campus?

EK: Main thing—every morning before I leave home—I have a devotion daily book that I read. I read my scriptures every morning before I come to work. I just love coming here and seeing all my babies at Florida State every day. That’s what keeps me going.

HC: When students are greeted by you at the Suwannee Dining Hall, the new Student Union that we now have, or any other place on campus, you always refer to them as your “babies.” You refer to them as this regardless of whether or not you know them personally or even know their names. It’s something that everyone knows you for. Why is that?

EK: I take every student [as] my own [baby] that I birthed in the world. I treat each student just like I treat my children and grandkids.

HC: Was there ever a particular moment you had with a student that has a special place in your heart.

EK: Yes. This week, I had a student who was [sad]. I asked her, “My baby, is there something going on?” She said, “I lost my grandfather.” I told her, “I love you. I know it hurts. If there’s anything I can do for you, let me know.” She told me she was going to talk to her manager at [her] job to take [a day off]. I said, “Go and talk to him. Don’t wait for tomorrow, do it today.” She did, and I surprised her [with] money to buy gas to go home. I told her “Drive safe.” She left yesterday.

HC: In 2017, you received the FSU Ross Oglesby Award, which is given to a staff or faculty member who has shown a high level of dedication to the school and has an all-around good character. What was that moment like for you?

EK: I just didn’t know what to say. I was just so thankful. It was a great feeling to know that I was so recognized.

HC: Do you have any advice for a student who is unsure of what path they want to take in life, homesick or adjusting to college in general?

EK: If I can help you the way you want to be helped, I’ll make sure you [are] able to talk to someone. Come and talk to me. [I’ll] try to give [you] the best advice I know.

Eva Killings continues to have a positive impact on FSU in various ways. The recognition she receives grows as more people join the family. To many students, faculty and staff, she is a role model, mother figure and dear friend.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Olivia Dumornay is a Junior at Florida State University majoring in Media and Communication Studies and minoring in Sociology. She is currently an Associate Editor for Her Campus at FSU, where she oversees a group of staff writers, edits their submitted articles on a weekly schedule prior to publishing, and more. You can find Olivia rambling about K-Pop and other favorite music artists of hers, films, makeup and fashion trends, and more. She spends her free time dancing, re-watching her "comfort" shows, and going out with friends and family.