Life > Academics

Doak Stadium to the Concrete Jungle

Almost every girl has swooned over a movie based in New York City and pictured herself living that Gossip Girl life, the glitz and glam from the shining lights of a city that never sleeps. Gabi Figueiredo, 21-year-old recent Florida State University alumni, is making her dreams of New York a reality. Gabi and I met back in high school, sophomore year English class, and getting to watch her grow in New York in such a short amount of time is inspiring. 

HerCampus (HC): Tell the readers some quick facts about you!

Gabi Figueiredo (GF): I am getting ready to start my classes at LIM College in Manhattan, focusing on a MBS in Fashion Management and Retail Merchandising. Last year I was living at The Standard on Virginia Street and now I am living in East Village near New York University! 

HC: You obtained a degree in Retail Entrepreneurship, how has that benefitted you, or will benefit you in the future?

GF: When I was at FSU, the professors provided amazing insight into the reality of working retail, so I feel well prepared for different situations. Studying predominately fashion in the program has helped me in continuing to feel inspired following this path, I always knew fashion was going to be a huge part of my life. The classes, such as the merchandise class that was hands on, gave me a better “real-world” experience and I plan to take the practices and knowledge forward to LIM College. Lastly, networking events have tremendously helped. I am confident at events to network and reach out to various position levels at a job with a strong sense of I know what I am doing.

HC: Movies make New York seem to be the place to go to reinvent yourself or continue growing, are there any major differences between the movies and reality you’ve noticed?

GF: New York in movies is for sure glamorized, they get to pick which streets and neighborhoods they show, so you must know not all the city is like the movies. You can go down three blocks and it be completely different from the neighborhood you just walked from. Taxis are so expensive! Walking everywhere is the best way to also explore the city, I have found so many random restaurants, bars, clubs and even shops just by walking by. 

HC: What are some changes resulting from your move? Any advice?

GF: Starting school in September is something completely new but I have enjoyed the extra summertime. Going back to the whole walking everywhere, a 20-minute walk in Florida seems like forever but a 20 minute walk is one of the shortest times it’ll take around the city. I have grown more confident in myself as a person, especially how different it is for people to express themselves in the city compared to a small town. Send it. If you want to live in New York find a way to make it happen and enjoy all the pitstops to getting there.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

A Korean American Retail Entrepreneurship Major from Fort Lauderdale, FL. My interests change constantly and have me learning new things to share!