Theta President
Theta President
Photo by Chelsea Spinder
Life > Experiences

Chelsea Spinder: The New Kappa Alpha Theta President

Many colleges continue to challenge the presence of Greek life on college campuses as well as student involvement. Numerous people might not be aware, though, that the chapters of Greek life have long-standing customs that make them even more unique. 

Kappa Alpha Theta was established in 1867 by Bettie Locke, an Indian Abusry (now Depauw University) professor’s daughter and one of the school’s first female students. Bettie Locke’s primary intention when founding Theta was to develop an organization that would support women on several college campuses. The Kappa Alpha Theta chapter is still thriving today thanks to Bettie Locke’s legacy, notably at Florida State University!

The Florida State University students that make up the Theta chapter and its president, Chelsea Spinder, demonstrate the leadership and pioneering qualities of the women who belong to the Kappa Alpha Theta Chapter. I have personally witnessed the amazing women in the chapter carry on Locke’s legacy and thrive as leaders in law clubs, newspaper groups, the STEM field, and so much more.

The new president of the FSU Kappa Alpha Theta Chapter originates from Parkland, South Florida. One of the earliest indications of Spinder’s tenacity was her decision to begin her college and sorority recruitment in 2020, amid the COVID-19 pandemic. She is currently a junior and aiming to graduate in 2024 while pursuing a degree in Human Development and Family Sciences.

Spinder underwent a lot of rounds on the Zoom application before joining the Kappa Alpha Theta chapter as a freshman at Florida State University. Regarding her encounter, she responds, “It was definitely hard, but I didn’t know any difference until a year later when I was on the other end of the process.” She went on to contrast recruiting via Zoom with FaceTiming friends and shared, “I know I did find my home, so everything worked out.” 

As Spinder assures that Theta is her home, she explains how this certainty is a result of all of her daily interactions and chats with all of the chapter’s members. Spinder even admits that she had never imagined herself as the chapter’s president. She claims, “I have just grown so much. I would not be who I am today without the people here and the people I surround myself with.” The idea of holding the position of president constantly occurs to students, but it is impressive to be able to do it with the help of the other female members of the chapter. 

When assuming her new role as president, Spinder agrees that there is a certain barrier between herself and other chapter members now as opposed to when she was a general chapter member as well. However, because several of her close friends hold leadership positions within the Theta chapter itself, it has been simpler for her friends to comprehend the new set of rules and her anticipated behavior as president.

The line dance has been one of Spinder’s fondest recollections of the chapter. She expresses admiration for “seeing everyone come together in the Civic Center, all rooting for one cause and one goal. On top of it, Theta winning—that feeling was even better.” Spinder gushes over how much she respected the Theta chapter’s efforts to make the event successful and then saw the chapter reap the rewards of that. Since everyone took part in it, she thinks that’s what made it memorable.

Spinder continued the Theta legacy during her three years as a member by exemplifying her prior leadership as the Philanthropy Director for the sorority’s philanthropy, which is CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). She coordinated and planned the “Pasta for Casa” fundraising event for CASA in the spring of this year. The planning of each event began approximately a month and a half earlier, and most recently, Spinder also fully arranged this fall’s fundraising event with the theme “Let’s Do Brunch.” She reveals that “seeing all of your little ideas come to life on the day of is really rewarding.”

Spinder also admits that she had a close friendship with Ellie Desorcy, the chapter’s former president, before she was chosen for her new role. Desorcy and Spinder have grown even closer as friends as a result of her support throughout Spinder’s transition to the presidency. She smiles and says, “I remember last year when she became President, I was so excited for her and it was who I wanted to see flourish in that position.” Spinder goes on to describe how Desorcy further aided her in having the confidence to apply and believed that she could thrive in her role as president.

Younger women should just go for it and have the bravery to hold any leadership role, Spinder recommends. “You are undoubtedly more capable than you realize, and even if you aren’t, you will develop in that role and discover so much about yourself, which will help you get to where you need to be.” 

If you want to hear more from Chelsea Spinder, find her on Instagram

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Natalie Willis is from Miami, FL and is studying Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Political Science. Find more through socials! Instagram: _nataliewillis_