Dance Marathon (DM) at Florida State University (FSU) is a yearlong fundraising project that works towards raising funds for “children in need of specialized pediatric medical care that is otherwise not available to them locally” (DM at FSU). The program fundraises all year long, leading up to their big 30-hour event in which students stand for 10 or 20-hour shifts without breaks! DM at FSU takes pride in being the largest student-run organization at FSU and is the third largest DM program in the United States. I discussed all things DM with executive member Maya Calderon, including her position as Marketing and Publicity Chair for DM at FSU!

Her Campus (HC): Tell us about yourself! 

Maya Calderon (MC): My name is Maya and I’m a Communications/Media Studies major with a minor in psychology and social entrepreneurship. I’m in Phi Mu and have been super involved in Dance Marathon since high school! I love to hang out with friends, spend time outside, read, take pictures, paint, listen to music and cook/bake! I’m originally from Long Island, New York, but I moved to South Florida when I was five. I have lived there ever since. I want to move back to New York post-grad and I hope to work in something related to Marketing or Public Relations! I have two dogs at home and love them so much; I can’t wait to get a dog of my own!

HC: Why did you decide to join DM? 

MC: In my junior year of high school, I joined DM because a lot of my friends were doing it. I also thought it sounded like a super fun way to give back to those in need while still having fun and enjoying myself with friends. However, after my first year of being involved, my love and passion for this organization grew so much. In my senior year, I was morale captain and loved being able to hype up everyone at the marathon and at events throughout the year as well as raise awareness for such an amazing cause. Coming to FSU, I knew I wanted to be a part of Dance Marathon here, so I applied to be an Inspiring New Leader (INL) during my freshman year. I was introduced to DM at FSU so well through this program and got to meet so many awesome people! I’ve been involved here ever since!

HC: What do you find to be the most fulfilling about DM? 

MC: The most fulfilling thing about DM is seeing how grateful and thankful all the children and families are. When they give their miracle stories and speeches about how DM has impacted their life it’s so heartwarming. Being on the exec board for DM can be very stressful and frustrating at times but seeing how much your hard work makes a difference in so many children’s lives make it all worth it.

HC: What is your position in DM exec? What responsibilities does the role entail? 

MC: I am the Marketing and Publicity Chair, so I serve on the Executive Board with 20 other people and we each have our own main tasks. My main tasks are to handle all the press outreach, so my team and I write up press releases as well as maintain a good relationship with a lot of different news outlets in the local Tallahassee area. I also run all the Dance Marathon social media accounts. This includes Instagram, Facebook, Tik Tok and Twitter! My team and I create all posts and captions for these accounts and post them. Additionally, I am in charge of coining our yearlong campaign slogan! This year it’s “We’ll Be There.” I send out a monthly newsletter to all of internal to keep everyone in the loop of past and upcoming events as well! Furthermore, ss an Executive Board member, I am responsible for working alongside the other members to brainstorm for upcoming events and fundraising efforts, and to carry out the main event, the marathon, that comes at the end of our yearlong fundraising effort.

HC: What has your experience with DM taught you? 

MC: My experience with DM has taught me so incredibly much. Over the past few years, I’ve learned so many new skills when it comes to working in large groups and delegating tasks. I’ve also learned about the amazing people involved in this organization, which is so rewarding. This year specifically, I’ve learned so much about branding and communicating with the press and other contacts, which is great for what I want to do in the future! It’s awesome because I’ve been able to blend my interests and future career aspirations with an organization I care so much about and that makes such an amazing difference in so many children’s lives.

HC: Finally, what tips would you give to anyone interested in getting involved in DM?

MC: JUST DO IT!!!! Put yourself out there and you will be so thankful. Everyone involved in this organization is so special in their own way and is so inclusive and caring. It can be scary to join something new with no prior knowledge, but everyone will welcome you with open arms!

Dance Marathon at FSU is taking place March 3, 2023, at 9 a.m.! More information on the event and what this organization is can be found on their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and TikTok.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hannah Scheifele is a writer from Tampa and is an English Education major at FSU. She cares deeply about the environment and likes to read, exercise, do yoga, take pictures, and sew/crochet in her free time! Feel free to reach out to her on insta @hannah.sch_<3