early morning row
early morning row
Original photo by Sarah Thornton

Catching Up with New FSU Rowing Head Coach Connor Stolp

After the departure of Florida State University (FSU) rowing coach Josh Baker, the rowing team started an extensive search for someone new. Rollins College graduate Connor Stolp was offered the position and, with his experience in rowing and exceptional coaching abilities, has continued to foster growth for the team. Under Stolp, Florida State rowing raced other colleges in Sarasota at the Florida Intercollegiate Rowing Association competition, placing second in the Women’s Novice 4+ and third in the Men’s Novice 4+.

Her Campus (HC): Hi Connor! Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your rowing experience?

Connor Stolp (CS): I started rowing my sophomore year of high school at Capital City Rowing in Tallahassee. After rowing for three years, I got recruited to go row at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida, where I rowed for four years and then graduated. Right after graduating last year, I started coaching for Florida State and this is my second semester as head coach.

HC: How did you decide that you wanted to become a rowing coach?

CS: I always knew that at some point in my life, I would want to get back into rowing, whether it be as a master rower, or as a coach. I received a message from the current president of FSU rowing, Norah Fennelly, and I said immediately said “absolutely.” Coaching is something I have always known I would want to do; it just came a little sooner in my life than I expected.

HC: How has your experience been working with FSU rowers so far?

CS: It’s been really fun! I’ve enjoyed it. It’s been a different experience, transitioning from a DII team, Rollins College, to a club team, Florida State. It’s unlike anything I’ve done before, and it has been a very rewarding and interesting experience for me.

HC: What have you learned this year and what has been your greatest challenge as a new coach?

CS: I came into coaching pretty confident about the training aspect of rowing, I knew how I wanted to make the team fast and so far, we have been able to accomplish this goal of mine. What has been most challenging for me has been the administrative side of things—I am responsible for 30 people who are of similar age to me. I have had to find the balance between establishing authority over my rowers while respecting that they are also my peers. Achieving this balance has definitely been the most difficult thing I’ve faced this year as a coach.

HC: What are your personal goals for the future of FSU Rowing?

CS: In the immediate future, I want to put together the fastest possible boats for our upcoming championship regattas this April and May. I simply want to see that my training plans have worked. For long-term goals, I want to grow the team’s roster and acquire more equipment. When people think of rowing teams in Florida, I want them to think of Florida State as a strong, reputable rowing team.

HC: Do you have any advice for student athletes trying to balance school and athletics?

CS: I would say that if you are choosing to be a student athlete, you should go into it understanding that you are going to have to make some sacrifices. It is hard to do sports and keep your grades up, and you need to make sure you know your priorities before committing to a sport. Make sure you can stay organized. Figure out why you want to be a student athlete, and make sure you are acting on those priorities. For me, I always knew I wanted to try and have good grades and be on the rowing team rather than go out on the boats as much as my peers may have been able to.

HC: Is there anything else you would like people to know?

CS: You should always be open to learning from people. When I was a rower, I learned from the more experienced rowers on my team as well as my coaches. This year, I have been able to learn a lot from my fellow coaching staff as well as from the rowers. Never be in a spot where you think you know more than anyone else, and know that you are never done learning.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Abby is a third-year at Florida State majoring in International Relations and minoring in Underwater Crime Scene Investigation. When she isn't studying or writing, you can find her hiking, thrifting, watching movies, or reading a good book.