Life > Academics

An FSU Freshman Takes on the Student Senate: How Lauryn Klosterich Balances It All

Even though Lauryn Klostreich just stepped on campus, she is already making an impact. From her love of the outdoors to her role in the Student Senate, she is constantly on the go. I recently caught up with her to ask how she destresses and her goals for the future! Lauryn got confirmed to the Student Senate during her first semester at Florida State University (FSU).

Her Campus (HC): What made you decide to run for FSU’s Student Senate?

Lauryn Klostreich (LK): I’ve always wanted to be involved with student government, and I felt like the senate was a great place where I could learn more about it at the collegiate level and create the change I wanted to see on campus.

HC: How did you end up getting the position?

LK: I did an application and a few interviews, and they saw my passion for getting involved and liked how I wasn’t intimidated to put myself out there.

HC: What are your career goals or other goals for the future?

LK: I’ve always known that I wanted to go to law school, and right now I’m strongly leaning toward taking a year or two off after I graduate from FSU to do some volunteer work with the Peace Corps. Eventually, I’d love to work in International Law or for the Department of State. I’d love to create positive, sustainable change on the global level.

HC: How do you destress with everything going on?

LK: I have a lot on my plate, but I find that as long as I enjoy what I’m doing and studying, it never really seems like work that I find pointless. That being said, it’s super for me to be at my physical and social best if I want to be at my mental best. I go to the gym almost every day and have a great group of friends who support me and cheer me on. They make me feel like the work I’m doing is important and that feeling pushes me never to give up.

HC: What is your advice for incoming freshmen on finding their place on campus?

LK: You know how they say you’re never too young to get involved? Well, I almost think they want you to be younger, it shows initiative and motivation to make a difference. I’ve been able to meet so many amazing friends from my different extracurriculars and had some insane opportunities as a freshman. It really is the best way to get connected with Florida State University! The younger you are when you’re involved, the better your chances are to land that leadership position or prestigious fellowship because you will have more experience than other applicants.

After talking with Lauryn, I realized the benefit of applying for everything you feel you can make a difference in. Lauryn is one of the first friends I made on campus, and the thing that stood out to me is how supportive and kind she is to everyone she meets. She always has a smile and will always try to motivate you. It was incredible for me to see her go after her goal of being in the Student Senate.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Ava is a freshman here at FSU. She is majoring in Political Science and Psychology! She is involved in Alpha Gam, Freshman Leadership Institute, Leading Women of Tomorrow, etc. You will probably find her on campus reading or listening to a true crime podcast.