Life > Experiences

Amanda Boekhout: Artwork for the Divine Feminine

When my roommate and I stumbled upon this collaboration of artists in the railroad district, we were shocked by the beauty and creativity that were exhibited. We were both drawn towards one section that combined abstract concepts, radiating colors and womanhood into an alluring array of artistry. Figures and hues seemed to jump out of the pictures and draw you in! The works were breathtaking, and we needed to know more about who created such enthralling pieces. 

Amanda Boekhout, mother and artist, combines the ideas of femininity and harvesting spirit within her artwork for the divine. Her unique works of art are a collection of paintings, prints and performances! She is based inside of Tallahassee and completed a master’s in fine art at Florida State University. I was excited that I was able to ask Amanda a couple questions about the inspiration for her artwork.

HerCampus (HC): What do you feel is the most exceptional aspect of your art?

Amanda Boekhout (AB): Oooh! I love that every piece I make has a curious and playful energy. I stay humble and experimental with my work.

HC: Has anything impacted who you are and what your art represents?

AB: My entire life experience has been quite a ride! So many experiences have shaped my work! Being a mother, giving birth and breastfeeding was a huge life altering experience and is symbolized in my work. Yoga and devotional practices also come into the work. The incredible planet and all her beauty, especially plants and animals are felt in my work. Travel! Love! My psychedelic experiences with meditation, floating and plant medicine are also a huge gift as far as receiving visions for my work.

HC: What is your favorite piece and why? 

AB: My She Wolf performance in grad school was transformative and bold and beautiful and pushed me creatively. I performed as the she wolf/ultimate creator and destroyer/great mother for hours. Moving slowly or not at all. A living symbol.

Some of my favorite artists are Sally Mann, Jenny Saville, Jenny Morgan, Monica Cook, Strange Dirt and her sister Mister Michelle. Just Chicago, Andrew Wyeth, Michelangelo, Kara Walker, the list goes on!

HC: Do you have a specific concept that you enjoy expressing?

AB: Shakti energy, offerings to the divine feminine, sensuality, adornment, embodiment, joy, love, surrender, living in the present, healing all wounds, ancient wisdom, weaving the future.

HC: What is your favorite medium to use to express yourself?

AB: I’ve been enjoying watercolors and India inks lately but also enjoy acrylic paint and I occasionally use my moon blood as paint.

HC: I know that on the Tallahassee Art’s website you said your parents’ attitudes towards life have impacted your artwork. What do you feel they have enlightened you the most on? 

AB: They are very passionate and determined people who love to spend time honing their crafts and creating beauty. They have a great attention to detail and invest in quality over quantity. Living with them and watching them create and living with their creations (my dad made all the cabinets in our home, plus stained glass. My mom wove baskets, sews a lot, made jewelry). They have always allowed me to be who I am as I explore, adventure, fail, thrive, heal and love! I picked an amazing family! 

HC: How does divination play a role in your artwork and your life?

AB: I wouldn’t use the word divination to describe my work. What about divinity? Or devotion? I believe that we are divine beings at our core! Moving past this physical existence into the vibrational existence is quite beautiful and inspiring to me and really guides my life. DIVINE FEM is a collection of art offerings to the divine. Creating these offerings in this life has become a devotional practice, an honor and a pleasure!

Amanda Boekhout’s works exhibit ethereal beauty that entraps one into the curious feeling of the natural world. If you would like to see more of her artwork or buy one, her Instagram is @divinefem and her shop is www.divinefem.bigcartel.com. Also, she is hosting a workshop soon and you can find more information on her website: www.divinefem.com

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Lindsey Anderson, and I am an editing, writing, and media major! My favorite color is yellow, and I love gardening! My favorite books are The Poppy Wars, The Book Theif, and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society!