Life > Experiences

A Conversation With Lauren Quintana: An ACCN Workshop Student

Lauren Quintana, a Digital Media Production major, has decided to spend her first year of college broadcasting with the Atlantic Coast Conference Network (ACCN) at Florida State University. She’s spent her year on the sidelines and behind the scenes for some of the most competitive and exciting games, including the fall 2021 homecoming football game and the 2022 home basketball game against Duke.

Her Campus (HC): How and why did you get involved with ACCN?

Lauren Quintana (LQ): I have always been very interested in producing and digital media. Cameras and the unknown of the “TV world” were such a mystery to me, and I was super eager to learn more. I found out about ACCN at the Involvement Fair at the beginning of last fall semester. I basically just put my name on a list, got an email and “tada!” I was officially a volunteer. After becoming a volunteer, I was put into games and went from not knowing one thing about what it takes to make a broadcast to being interviewed about my experience and knowledge.

HC: How do you plan to use this experience in the future?

LQ: After one semester, I have learned so many cool and fascinating things about producing and camera operations. With all this experience I’m getting, I hope to put it to use to either direct, produce or release graphics for my own creative endeavors or other branches within ESPN. The things you learn here and within the Digital Media Production major open so many doors for you within the creative world and give you many opportunities to follow thousands of careers.

HC: What other positions at ACCN/ESPN do you hope to attain?

LQ: Well, right now, I’m a workshop student, so I basically work on games for a class, but I hope to become part-time and further my studies in the multi-camera class. The whole organization really allows you to move up the ranks the more you show interest and professionalism.

HC: What type of cameras do you use, and how many people does it take to operate the camera?

LQ: The type of cameras we use at Seminole Productions range from box lens cameras to 24 cameras. The difference between the two cameras is the distance and zoom on the lenses. Box lenses are always supported on tripods (they are SUPER heavy) and shoot main game coverage because they give a greater zoom capacity.

At the same time, 24s are usually used as handheld cameras to shoot games at eye level. Both cameras can be used to do “crowd work” (finding fans and getting people excited). The main point of both cameras is to “sell the best shot” to your director because they have the final call as to what goes on air.

Usually, each camera operator will have an assist or a grip to help with the camera cables or set up. For example, when working the homecoming football game last semester, my camera had three grips on the cable. When gripping or assisting a camera, your job will change depending on the camera. 24 grips usually help make sure the cable never gets caught or tangled and gives your camera operator easy access to everything they want to cover. When assisting with the box cam, you usually help set up the cameras because they are very heavy. When assisting for both, you must always be ready to take the camera if your op needs to get off at any time throughout the game.

HC: How does this job reflect your future aspirations?

LQ: I hope to work in the “TV world” in some way. The ACCN program has given me the opportunity and experience to work several different jobs within this career path to explore my favorites and what I can truly see myself succeeding at. So far, I love everything, so I’m just enjoying the moment. As for the future, this summer, I hope to gain a producing internship for Channel 7 back in my hometown Miami, and hopefully, the more I work, the more I learn, the more doors will open for me. I could possibly be brought on to work for a full-time team in the NFL, create documentaries and work on more creative sets for cinema.

You can keep in contact with Lauren’s broadcasting adventures through her Instagram, which is linked above!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

An FSU student from Ormond Beach, Florida, studying political science.